Image: Wikimedia Commons

Mo Farah secures historic ‘double double’ after 5,000m win

Mo Farah made yet more Olympic history after winning the Rio 2016 5,000m, taking his gold medal tally to four and completing an historic ‘double double’.

He is only the second athlete to win the 5,000m and 10,000m at two successive Olympic Games, matching the benchmark set by Finland’s Lasse Viren at the 1972 and 1976 Games.

His win helped Team GB surpass London 2012’s medal tally of 65.

Farah’s time of 13:03.30 was a convincing one, far ahead of Paul Kipkemoi Chelimo of the US, who originally finished second but who was subsequently disqualified. As a result, Ethiopa’s Hagos Gebrhiwet was pushed up to silver and fellow American Bernard Lalagat was promoted to bronze. A further twist came – after a lengthy appeal, Chelimo’s silver was restored, knocking Lalagat off the podium altogether.

Ethiopian duo Dejen Gebremeskel and Gebrhiwet opted for an attacking race, setting a strong pace through the opening kilometre to challenge Farah, who was content to sit towards the back and gradually rise those the ranks.

The field quickly stretched out, but Farah still eased to the front. He slowed the pace, inviting his rivals to bunch back together, and secured a dominant victory on a final lap showdown as Chelimo rose through the field.

After the race, Farah said: “I was surprised by the first lap. I thought it was going to be a slow race. They had a plan, they wanted to take the sting out of me but when I hit the front, I wasn’t letting anyone past me.

“I can’t believe it. My legs were a bit tired after the 10k – I don’t know how I recovered. People were bringing me food in my hotel room. But I hate to lose. Even in PE, I hated losing. I have that drive – it’s just me. I can’t quite believe it.

“I wished for just one medal as a junior. It has been a long journey, but if you dream of something, have ambitions and are willing to work hard, then you can get your dreams.”