Image: www.GlynLowe.com / Flickr

Why The West Wing resonates in the 2016 presidential election

Ten years ago, the final episode of The West Wing aired – it is widely considered one of the best American TV dramas ever made, and its legacy lasts to this day. Having just finished watching it, I want to think about why it was so popular and important.

The show dealt with the two terms in office of President Josiah Bartlett (Martin Sheen), and the various problems and issues he and his team faced in trying to run the country. It tackled a lot of issues throughout its seven season run, including foreign policy problems like North Korean nuclear ambitions and the Israel-Palenstine situation, to US-specific problems like the intelligent design controversy in schools. Many of the things it tackled, from government shutdowns to debate over the debt ceiling, came to be – The West Wing is as much about today as it was the world of ten years ago.

The West Wing is as much about today as it was the world of ten years ago

Obviously, in tackling themes like this, there was often drama to be found, but the show also offered humour, with the earlier

4132308947_5b15aa1f97_o

Image: xuewei09 / Flickr

scripts by Aaron Sorkin held as examples of finely-crafted dialogue. The cast of characters were real and evolved throughout the show, and the cast remained captivating until the final credits rolled – C.J. Cregg (Alison Janney), the White House Press Secretary, is one good example of this, being funny, imposing and completely watchable for all seven seasons.

However, no matter how dark things got, the show remained optimistic and upbeat. These were public servants who watched to do their best and what was right, and there was no problem that couldn’t be solved by decency and soaring rhetoric. They always had the country’s best interests at heart, and were backed by a president as intelligent and as caring and you’d hope one could be. In a world increasingly cynical and full of despair, The West Wing offered a mix of positivity and working for the greater good.

In a world increasingly cynical and full of despair, The West Wing offered a mix of positivity and working for the greater good

The show’s final season saw a presidential election to replace Bartlett, with Republican Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda) and Democrat Matt Santos (Jimmy Smits) the two main contenders (Santos was the eventual winner, the first ethnic minority president, based on the then-little known senator Barack Obama). We warmed to both men, who were pillars of integrity and fair play throughout and, as we sit through a real-life presidential contest with two dodgiest characters ever, The West Wing can serve as antidote of sorts – a version of America where the top politicians are noble and decent.