Photo: Warwick SU

Societies Awards shortlist announced

The shortlist for the 2016 Societies Awards has been revealed, with a total of 44 different societies nominated across a variety of awards.

A further ten people have been nominated for “Individual Contribution”.

The awards include categories for “Best New Society”, “Best Society Event”, and “Society of the Year”. A new category, “Warwick Wildcard”, has also been added.

As opposed to last year, there is no breakdown for the different kinds of society, where an overall “Best Society” award was given alongside the best academic, cultural, and film and media societies.

The shortlist was devised by Societies Officer, George Creasy, and the Societies Executive Committee. The committee is made up of eight students and chaired by Marissa Beatty, Societies Officer-Elect.

Over 100 nominations were received for the awards, and each member of the Societies Exec, as well as George Creasy, had to go through each award category and choose their favourite nominations in order to compile the shortlist.

We had to judge lots of very excellent entries this year. Inevitably, lots of outstanding societies have missed out, after all, there are over 250 societies here at Warwick.

Connor O’Shea, Societies Exec member

Societies Exec members did not do this for categories where societies they are involved in were nominated, though.

Connor O’Shea, Ancient History and Classical Archaeology finalist and member of Societies Exec, commented: “We had to judge lots of very excellent entries this year. Inevitably, lots of outstanding societies have missed out, after all, there are over 250 societies here at Warwick.

“The societies on the shortlist reflect the opinions of just 8 students and George Creasy, a mighty judging panel but ultimately a very small group of people.”

He added: “I was very impressed with the achievements of all of our societies here at Warwick and all societies really deserve a massive shout out for being generally fantastic.”

Marissa Beatty commented: “It was really difficult for the Socs Exec to put together a shortlist with so many strong nominations.

“I’m really happy the Exec created some new awards for this year, it’s definitely made it more accessible for all types of societies, no matter how big or small, and I think the shortlist reflects that.”

Societies Awards are being held on the 25 June.

The full shortlist is shown below.

Photo: Warwick SU