A temporary memorial in Chester. Image: Emma Johnson

LGBT+ remembrance vigil held at Warwick

A vigil organised by Warwick Pride was held at Warwick Arts Centre last night as an act of remembrance and solidarity to those in the LGBT+ community who have lost their lives due to intolerance.

The vigil was sparked by recent events in Orlando, where 49 people were killed at Pulse, a gay nightclub. Many more still were injured.

The attack at Pulse came on a Latinx night, meaning people of colour were particularly affected by the event. It was the largest gun mass shooting ever in the USA and a homophobic hate crime, as well as an act of terrorism.

This follows a prominent worldwide trend that LGBT+ people of colour – especially those who identify as transgender – are most commonly affected by homophobic, racist and transphobic violence.

However, the vigil was not solely held for those killed or injured in Pulse, but rather an overall act of remembrance and mourning for those affected by phobia of LGBT+.

Just under 100 people from the university gathered in the Arts Centre, with the vigil lasting just over an hour, starting with music.

We hoped to create a safe space for LGBTUA+ people to mourn together. However, we also wanted to make sure it was focused on everyone we’ve lost this year, not just the victims at Pulse.

Warwick Pride

Speeches were made by people who identify as LGBT+, and spaces were reserved particularly for people of colour to speak out on the issue.

At the end, the list of people killed at Pulse was read out, and a minute’s silence was observed.

After the vigil, both the Warwick Islamic Society and Christian Focus welcomed attendees into the Prayer Hall and Chaplaincy respectively, and provided food.

Warwick Pride, who led the organisation of this vigil, stated: “We hoped to create a safe space for LGBTUA+ people to mourn together. However, we also wanted to make sure it was focused on everyone we’ve lost this year, not just the victims at Pulse.

“It is especially important to raise up the voices of LGBTUA+ people of colour at this time as they are so often the victims of anti-LGBTUA+ violence.”

Warwick Anti-Racism Society also urged people in a statement on Facebook to not “white-wash” or “straight-wash” the events at Pulse, or acts of violence against the LGBTUA+ community as a whole.

They added: “When you hold the shooter to account, remember that transphobia and homophobia has no religion and this tragedy should not be used to excuse your Islamophobia. LGBTUA+ Muslims exist; do not erase them.”