Image: Horia Varlan/ Flickr

“Overjoyed” at Warwick stance on the EU referendum

I am overjoyed to hear that our University has chosen to support the remain vote. Of course not every student will agree with the University doing so. The University’s decision does not represent every student, no, but it does have every student’s best interests at its heart.

We hope that our University’s decision can help educate people about the benefits they each receive from the UK’s membership in the EU. The EU is a net contributor to our University in so many ways.

We have spoken before how roughly 15% of the University’s budget is directly given by the EU commission. How the EU students and academics at Warwick give so much to our experience of ‘uni life’. We have mentioned the great opportunities that both Erasmus, and the University exchange schemes give to us.

The University’s decision… does have every student’s best interests at its heart

We have also talked about the courses and modules on offer, and how the EU has added to their roster. These things are just the highlight reel of what the EU gives to us.

But we must ask ourselves, what does this matter? Does Warwick supporting either side make much of a difference? This is a question I have been asked many times. And I believe the answer is yes, it matters and yes, it makes a difference.

The truth is that this issue has been dominated by two very polarised sides, but the vast majority of people stand squarely in the ‘undecided’ centre. Many people remain unconvinced by either side’s arguments, and are unconvinced of where their own self interest lies.

Many people remain unconvinced by either side’s arguments

Enter Warwick: a credible institution and a reliable source of information that can be expected to make a rational choice in deciding where their vested interest lies. With this issue, that which benefits Warwick, also benefits the students.

This may not always be perfect reasoning, but with the tangible benefits the EU provides, like funding and where this money goes, the reasoning holds true.

Then we must ask, is our short time at University a good enough reason to dictate how we should vote in an issue which will shape the rest of our lives? Well, of course not. But that doesn’t mean that the logic the University applies to this issue, and the reasoning most people will apply, are the same: what is the best choice for me? Warwick mirrors wider society in its answer.

Warwick mirrors wider society in its answer

The sheer number of jobs provided by the EU within the UK is a good example. Three and a half million jobs are projected to be lost if we were to leave, on top of that there are the millions of careers within the EU which our citizens are able to pursue.

This directly mirrors the ability of our students to study abroad, the number of modules and courses we can study because of the EU, the number of places which are secured through EU funding; the list goes on.

We can also look at the diversity aspect, the ability of EU students and academics to study here directly mirrors those EU citizens and families who are able to work and live here. This diversity is something which our University cherishes, something our society at large should cherish too.

This diversity is something which our University cherishes

All told, the position of our University speaks volumes to its students about how they should vote, and is an example set to everyone about how they should vote come June 23.

This is a serious issue that requires serious, rational thought. Our University has thought seriously and rationally about this issue and come to a conclusion: remaining in the EU benefits us all.

Adam Sammour

• This article basically says ‘do as you’re told, students, your university know best.’ How typical of the remainiacs.