Image: Lily Pickard

WAAD – The importance of autism awareness

Autism: it’s a word often thrown around, but rarely understood. Having grown up with a severely autistic older brother, other people’s naivety and ignorance on the topic often frustrates me. But that is why World Autism Awareness Day is such an important one in battling misconceptions and stereotypes.

Autism is clinically defined as a neurodevelopmental disorder, and the symptom mostly associated with it is how autistic people interact with others. Their social skills and communication are inherently impaired. Yet this is just one element of autism.

Most people don’t realise how large a spectrum the term ‘autism’ actually covers. For someone mildly on the scale, it may be that their social skills are the only thing truly affected; for the most severe, they are unable to speak at all.

Most people don’t realise how large a spectrum the term ‘autism’ actually covers

My brother falls somewhere in the middle, but certainly was on the worse end when we were growing up. He was incapable of speech until around eight years old, his life dominated by an obsession with all things Disney (a love which will never truly die) and, much to the detriment of his health, McDonald’s.

I grew up watching strangers in the street pull faces or, worse still, actually make comments due to the extreme nature of Jake’s autism. Even just a couple of years ago a man in a café tried to tell me to ‘control’ him as my brother was stood in his way.

I can assure you, the only thing I had to ‘control’ was my wish to cause this gentleman physical harm for bringing his toxic ignorance into an attack on my brother.

I grew up watching strangers in the street pull faces or, worse still, actually make comments

I am under no illusions of what the strain of a severely autistic son was to my parents and their marriage, these daily battles of ignorance on top of the added level of parenting required. Nor can I pretend I didn’t at times wish for a neuro-atypical, or, if we’re using pejorative stereotypes, ‘normal’ big brother: one that would have looked out for me at school, or made my life hellish in a way only siblings can. But I didn’t have that.

Instead, I got to watch the boy who couldn’t speak turn into a funny, charming and caring young man. Whatever barriers autism gave Jake in life, he has done his best to overcome. This is no doubt in part down to the unending love and support he has received from family, friends and a special needs school that nourished and developed the talent Jake clearly had.

I got to watch the boy who couldn’t speak turn into a funny, charming and caring young man

Don’t get me wrong: his mental age is still that of a four year old, despite turning 23 in a few days time, but I can’t begin to describe the leaps and bounds in which he has developed in the past 15 years.

And there is no doubt in my mind that having Jake as my brother has changed who I am, and who I’ve grown into. It made me more caring and understanding than many children my age when we were growing up, and is probably a factor in way I am so passionate about injustice and equality.

While my childhood may have been different and, at times, difficult, I still wouldn’t change it for the world. Jake continues to impress and amaze me on a daily basis. And it’s stories such as his that I wish were more clearly heard and understood in regards to autism.

Jake continues to impress and amaze me on a daily basis

This world has many autistic individuals all across the spectrum: we need to prevent more judgemental strangers feeling it’s okay to make comments, and start celebrating the daily brilliance of autistic people everywhere. Let’s stop deciding who falls into the ‘normal’ category, and accept all differences, and the varying challenges they may bring. Together, ignorance can be battled. Happy World Autism Awareness Day, folks!

Image: P.newhart/ Wikimedia Commons

Image: P.newhart/ Wikimedia Commons

• Alan Chewings

I have a grandson, who is nearly 7. Reading your article made me smile as I can see him in your brother.
    More importantly your article gave me hope.
    Thank you.

• Well done Lily Jake enriched our lives too

• Elaine McNicholas

Lily you are a wonderful sister……..I work at AL School and although I never had the pleasure of working with Jake was always greeted with a cheery good morning when he arrived in the morning off the school bus.

This has been a great read and says it all 🙂