The Daily Mail. Photo: Howard Lake/Flickr

The Daily Mail accused of manipulating article on The Tab Warwick

The Daily Mail has picked up an article published on The Tab Warwick in order to highlight drunk and disorderly student behaviour, leading to criticism from the original piece’s author.

A first-year student of Philosophy and Literature at Warwick wrote an article for The Tab titled: “Fights, vomiting, blowjobs: riding the Uniexpress sober”.

The article was, according to its author, a “light-hearted” account of her sober journey on the Uniexpress bus, a service where students pay money for club entry, and their ticket includes a bus journey to and from the club.

During this Uniexpress trip to the nightclub Neon in Leamington Spa, The Tab writer interviewed students and took pictures of her experience, all with permission of those involved.

The article was published on February 18 and a few hours later the writer was contacted by a news distribution agency named Newswire.

A person working at the agency asked for permission to distribute the article and the writer agreed unaware of whom would notice her article.

Later on that day, The Daily Mail picked up the story and published a write-up of the author’s piece, distorting it greatly for their audience.

The Daily Mail’s title was: “Drunken students boast about starting fights, having sex and vomiting as they use a late-night bus service at one of Britain’s top Universities”.

In a follow up article for The Tab the author wrote: “I never thought anything would come of this piece, and it was supposed to be a funny article for students to enjoy reading. Not shocking or provocative in any way.”

She also added: “The Tab is doing everything it can to have the whole piece toned down to the level of the original story.”

The Tab has contacted The Daily Mail multiple times now and has yet to receive a reply.