image: Jeremy Keith / Flickr

All the views on Veganuary

This January was all about going Vegan – Cath Lyon gives us all the views on Veganuary…

Going vegan has become the new trend for those hoping to shed a few Christmas pounds. Trying to cut out all animal products from our diet is a daunting challenge. The fear of expensive shopping lists, hours slaving over a hot stove and mashing chickpeas into a tasteless mush (otherwise known as dinner) is one dieting horror many of us do our best to avoid.

Yet students are now jumping on the trend, with many participating in RAG’s Veganuary, an event which entails converting to veganism for the whole of January, (that’s right, a whole four weeks) while raising money for a charity of their choice. While some have been counting the hours until February, others have proclaimed the health benefits of the diet and are considering converting permanently.

I tracked down Farrah Burke, president of RAG and dedicated vegan, and Patrick Lavery, member of RAG exec and planner of the fundraiser, and asked them how they’d found cutting out the meat:

Farrah: “Really well – “I’ve inspired friends and family to adopt a plant-based lifestyle – even my boyfriend’s family are all thinking of making the switch!”

Patrick: “When I came back to uni this year, I was a raging meat eater. I would have meat every dinner and often some for lunch too. But as term time went on, I was surrounding myself with vegetarians and vegans… and it became impossible to ignore the compelling reasons to give up meat eating”.

Not only does the vegan diet tone you up and brighten your complexion (just look at Beyonce) but it also has a positive impact on the environment.

The production process that gets your steak from field to plate consumes a vast amount of our planet’s vital resources.

P: “The environmental impact of animal agriculture is astounding, 4650 litres of water are used to produce just one beef steak. 70% of all crops grown in America are used just to feed animals, not to mention the absolutely horrific manner in which the famed animals are treated.”

Reducing this impact might have been the main reason that Patrick became vegan, but for others, the opportunity to raise money for causes close to home was the primary attraction for taking up RAG’s challenge.

F: “We have around 50 student participants, a percentage of whom have never done an event with RAG before, and have collectively raised just under a grand for a range of causes.”

I later caught up with three Warwick students who have successfully completed Veganuary: third year History student, Sinead Loftus; Bethan Wiggett (who has raised £160 for International Rescue Committee UK’s refugee appeal despite being on a year abroad in Germany) and Jesse Chambers, a second year Classics student. I asked each of them how it went.

B: “I’ve really enjoyed the challenge of finding new ways to cook and enjoy food, and now I feel proud of myself for doing something good for the planet, too.”

S: “I’ve found it really difficult , and I really haven’t enjoyed the diet…I think if I had prepped more, or had more time to cook I would have enjoyed it more…it doesn’t suit me very well health wise at the moment; I find vegetarianism a lot easier. I am going to do at least one vegan day a week, though, as I understand its benefits.”

J:  “I have eaten more chickpeas in the last few weeks than I think I have in my entire life. But, in all seriousness, it’s been fascinating exploring other options and barring a few occasions it hasn’t felt restrictive at all.”

Overall, Veganuary seems to have been a positive experience; not only has it broadened the students’ knowledge and understanding of food, but it has raised a great amount of money and awareness for various charitable causes.

Want more articles on going Vegan? Click here: https://theboar.org/the-vegan-special/ ‎