Khairil Zhafri / Flickr

What is it really like to be on an exec?

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s I write this, I am coming to the end of my second-year as the vice-president of the Film Society, and these two years on the exec have been some of the most interesting of my life.

My role is essentially the secretary, as I do all the admin stuff such as room bookings, meeting minutes, replying to emails, etc. Having said that, I’d like to give it so much more; being on the exec is something that you get more out of if you put more in.

Being on an exec is an experience unlike any other at university

A joy of my role is that I get to meet so many incredible people – from the rest of the exec to our crew members, and all the other societies who get in touch. If you don’t join a society at uni, you truly are closing yourself off from some of the opportunities that are available, and being on an exec only amplifies that experience.

During my time, I’ve overseen some incredible events, and they are vastly more enjoyable when you know you’re responsible – from pub quizzes, Outdoor Screenings, Filmsoc Does WSAF, our sponsored events, and so much more.

Being on exec gives you the ability to make a positive impact on the lives of fellow students.

However, there are some issues. The experience is hampered if the people you work with won’t put in the effort, or if you cannot dedicate the time due to the perilous task of actually doing your degree.

I’ve overseen some incredible events and they are vastly more enjoyable when you know you’re responsible

Not to mention the unpredictable events, too – for me, it was being forced to become president after our jocular leader decided to step down.

On the whole, though, being on the exec is an experience unlike anything else at university – if you’re interested in a society, want to hang around with great people or (shudder) have something for the CV, you’d be mad not to consider it.

– Reece Goodall

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s someone in not one, not two but three execs I know about the benefits and negatives of committing yourself to running a society.

One clear benefit is that you get to have an active role in your favourite societies. My first-year experience was greatly improved by being involved in societies and I doubt it would have been so fun without them.

Another obvious advantage is that being involved in running societies makes you look really good when you apply for jobs or work experience. It shows commitment and responsibilty as well as interest in things outside of your academics.

You really have to be ready to give up your time if you’re going to commit

However, being in the exec of a society is not always easy. The biggest downside is how much time it can suck away from your degree. You really have to be ready to give up your time if you’re going to commit to an exec.

That being said, balance is not impossible to achieve when the whole exec is commited and willing to work hard for the success of the society. In my experience when the exec is committed to working as a team then the work is split evenly and there shouldn’t be such a dramatic drain on your time to get things working as they should do.

If you’re just after something to put on your CV then you’re wasting everyone’s time

But not all societies run so smoothly. I have seen examples of societies that don’t work as a team and it is really stressful for everyone. If you’re just after something to put onto your CV then you’re wasting everyone’s time.

Also, elections aren’t that scary; it’s when the whole society comes together. Most are run proffessionally and fairly; and there is not too much pressure when you are making speeches. Overall, being in an exec is definitely worth it, although next time I might only run for one!

– Blessing Mukosha Park