University
Image Credit: Wikipedia

University is all about societies and societies don’t wait!

University life is all about participating in societies  Sara Gregory on why it’s never too late to get involved…

Societies are a vital part of University life. So this is the year I decided to get my butt in to gear and get involved with the ‘societies’ life. Unfortunately for me this happens to be my last year at Warwick, and I can’t help but feel like I’ve slightly missed the boat a bit. Seriously, don’t leave it too late to join up to stuff!

Nevertheless that hasn’t stopped me from signing up to a sack load of societies. The one that I’ve managed to get most involved in has been Warwick University Drama Society (WUDS). And by involved I really mean just turn up to things.

There’s always something going on that you can get on board with, or just go along and watch their productions. But for those of you that would want to get more involved and aren’t necessarily the typical outgoing-drama-student sort of person, like me, have no fear.

The audition process is so laid back and very friendly. You never feel like you’re being laughed out of an audition. As for the call backs (the one time I actually got a call back!), they were really fun. It was more like a drama class than some intense acting boot camp.

If total enjoyment is the mark of achievement then I’ve been extremely
successful…

One day I hope to be able to recount what taking part in an actual production is like, so fingers crossed everyone. But if total enjoyment is a mark of achievement, then I’ve been extremely successful. You know what they say; it’s not the winning, but the taking part that counts right? RIGHT?!
Another society that I’ve joined this year is the Women For Women Institute (WFWI) at Warwick. It’s an amazing organization that tries to promote equality for women in general, and also focuses on achieving positive change for women in war stricken countries.

There’s no obligation with this society; like most of the societies, you can be as involved as you want to be. But they do have some fun events.

There are a lot of bake sales and cinema viewings, because who doesn’t love cake and movies?

They also have activities like 5k runs and 24 hour fasts (although I think it’s best for the public benefit that I don’t participate in with that one – hangry is a real emotion!). These activities raise funds for the women that they sponsor. It’s never too late to join, and they are still looking for volunteers to help with all their events in Women’s Week in week 9!

I’ve found it to be such a fulfilling organisation to be part of. But if that’s not motivation enough for you, then just remember this: it’s a great CV filler!

Here are all the societies at Warwick get involved: https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/

More articles like this: https://theboar.org/2015/10/navigating-societies-fair/