Tommy's is a charity for pregnancy research. Photo: Robert Luff / Flickr

Warwick to help with largest miscarriage centre in Europe

The University of Warwick has been selected as a partner to the largest miscarriage research centre in Europe, The National Early Miscarriage Centre, it was announced on 21 January.

This will be the UK’s first and only early miscarriage centre.

The University’s researchers will be joining doctors from University Hospital in Coventry to investigate the causes of early miscarriage, and will be funded by leading pregnancy charity, Tommy’s.

The research centre is due to open in April 2016.

Also, the Institute of Digital Healthcare at Warwick will develop a clinical database, led by Professor Theo Arvanitis, which will support the work of the Centre and improve outcomes.

The Institute of Digital Healthcare is a partnership between two departments, Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) and Warwick Medical School, with an aim to improve health and wellbeing through development, evaluation and use of innovative digital technologies.

Medical science doesn’t fully understand miscarriage which is why funding and research is so critical.

Jane Brewin, CEO of Tommy’s

With approximately 250,000 miscarriages every year in the UK alone, the research is thought to be crucial for creating new treatments and understanding why miscarriage occurs.

Jane Brewin, CEO of Tommy’s, commented: “Medical science doesn’t fully understand miscarriage which is why funding and research is so critical.”

The University of Warwick’s Facebook page has said that: “We’re really pleased to have been selected to be a partner in the largest miscarriage research centre in Europe.”

The National Early Miscarriage Centre will comprise a partnership of The University of Birmingham, The University of Warwick and Imperial College London and will run three specialist clinics enabling 24,000 women per year access to treatment.