Image: Pixabay

New year, new TV: my 2016 resolutions

[dropcap]N[/dropcap]ew Year, New You: this is the phrase on everyone’s lips, but this year I haven’t bothered with a list of the usual resolutions to go to the gym or eat less chocolate. However, considering the importance of television in my life, I’m thinking, why not make some TV resolutions instead?

1. Finish what I’ve started

Image: Luis M Gallardo D / Flickr

Image: Luis M Gallardo D / Flickr

Firstly, I’m always guilty of getting addicted to a series and then dumping it halfway through for something shinier. True Blood, Parks and Recreation, How to Get Away with Murder… I’ve abandoned so many shows just because I’ve been distracted by another. This also has the unfortunate side effect of exasperating friends who are ready for a gossip on the latest cliff-hanger.

So, this year, to avoid frustration with my very short attention span, I want finally to finish off some of these shows so I can find out how all those plot lines are resolved. Oh, and so I can avoid losing several friends!

2. Broaden my horizons

Image: JrScientist / Flickr

Image: JrScientist / Flickr

I love documentaries, and can contentedly watch any programme by David Attenborough – for instance, his recent BBC series, The Hunt. I find it fascinating to discover how animals have evolved to be adapted to their environment: how predators are forced to change their habits with human activity, or how prey have certain tactics to avoid being a tasty meal. Additionally, I always keep on an eye out for historical documentaries, as I think the events of the past are extremely relevant to the issues of today.

This year, I would like to watch some documentaries on a wider range of subjects: well-made, inspiring creations like Girl Rising are on the top of my list. It documents the stories of nine girls around the world who overcome obstacles to gain an education and determine their own futures.  In addition to motivating me to strive for excellence, it’s important to remember the wider world outside of my own little bubble.

3. A recipe for success

Image: Moyan_Brenn / Flickr

Image: Moyan_Brenn / Flickr

In fact, to fulfil both these resolutions, I need to finish off Netflix’s Chef’s Table. I enjoy cooking normally, but the series opens up a new world of ideas by profiling six world-renowned chefs. The chefs’ ideas and techniques may not be a realistic aim when I’m whipping up a bite to eat after a long day in the library, but it’s crucial to remember to think creatively – which is especially useful when I’ve forgotten to buy a key ingredient!

4. Solve the case

Image: Tnssofres / Flickr

Image: Tnssofres / Flickr

Finally, I’ve particularly enjoyed all the period mysteries on the BBC this Christmas: the BBC’s Sherlock series, the adaptation of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, and the Charles Dickens mashup Dickensian.

Apart from finding some reading inspiration, all these have been very good at getting my brain working. Rather than mindlessly watching another episode of a reality show in the upcoming months, I might take the opportunity to challenge my skills of deduction with a good whodunit. The Kardashians are a mystery that will never be solved: I might as well go for something a bit more fathomable.