Genre Study: Science Fiction

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he sci-fi genre is characterized by a lot of things: aliens; space; and intergalactic travel, for example. It can be known as a genre only the computer science kids, but to anyone who has this view, I say you’re wrong! Science fiction, whilst most definitely about space, has so much more to offer than those general features. In fact, science fiction probably has the ability to be the most flexible of all the genres because it’s a place in which the imagination can run wild but also in which fiction can meet reality. Take The Martian by Andy Weir, for example. Weir takes technical details and weaves it with fiction and story-telling so you’re not only being entertained but also learning about science.

Science fiction probably has the ability to be the most flexible of all the genres because it’s a place in which the imagination can run wild

For fans of more elaborate science fiction, complete with galactic duchies, kingdoms and corrupt politicians, Dune by Frank Herbert would be more suitable. It’s about a feudal interstellar society in which noble houses compete for the valuable “spice” melange. This book really appealed to me: anyone who knows me really well knows I’m a massive history buff with a big weak spot for queens, kings and all that scandal. However, I’m not someone who enjoys elaborate language too much and Dune is certainly a novel that can be guilty of that.

The occupation of explorer in lands never-before-travelled holds a certain kind of romanticism

Whilst I haven’t read it myself, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is definitely on my list of to-be-read books. It’s by Douglas Adams and has had a massively positive reception since it came into existence on the radio in 1978. You either love it or hate it but, nevertheless, it almost always ends up on lists of the best sci-fi novels of all time.

How great must it have been knowing that there were undiscovered countries, animals, fruits and plants that no one yet knew about?

My message to you is to try and look at this genre with new eyes. I was never really destined for a scientific career but I definitely envy those who chose that path: the possibilities are endless, especially in space. The occupation of explorer in lands never-before-travelled holds a certain kind of romanticism for me. How great must it have been knowing that there were undiscovered countries, animals, fruits and plants that no one yet knew about? This is how it feels to be fascinated by the unexplored frontier or, as space is often called, the last frontier.

Image Credits: Terry Hancock / Flickr (Header)