#BUCSWednesday Notepad: Week 9

It was a bumper #BUCSWednesday as 43 Warwick teams competed home and away. In a week dominated by the #ThisGirlCan campaign, it was only right that Women’s Rugby took centre stage as they clashed with Loughborough 2s in the Game of The Week. But there was plenty more going on: Men’s Rugby 1s faced the league leaders, Badminton trick shots were out in force, and there were even in-depth conversations about Rugby League with the St. John’s Ambulance Crew. It is all included in our round-up of this week’s BUCS action.

Results at a glance

22 Wins, 18 Losses, 3 Draws

Game of The Week

Women’s Rugby 5-40 Loughborough 2s

Women’s Rugby fall to Loughborough in mud stained encounter

It’s been a tumultuous week for Women’s Rugby. With a high profile twitter trolling incident just about in the rear view mirror, (not until after making the Boar front page) they took to Cryfield in torrid conditions to battle Loughborough’s 2nd team. In a fixture that acted as the centre piece for the #ThisGirlCan campaign, the team dug in and drove hard in an encounter that was one of the most intense Rugby matches played out on the hallowed grass of Cryfield this term, a mud splattered, sweat stained duel. Still a team beginning to gel and come to terms with the nuances of the competitive game, they put up a valiant fight confronted with one of the most formidable sides in the country, succumbing to a late flurry before losing 5-40. Regardless of the result, the proof was in the pudding. Amongst a series of brave performances, tough tackling and great determination, they showed us that #ThisGirlCan and then some.

12346705_10205037586569307_152735815_n

Men’s Rugby topple leaders Leicester

Though the Women’s Rugby team were unsuccessful, their male counterparts more than made up for it. The first team entertained top of the league Leicester at Cryfield and were roared on by a passionate home support. The visitors’ inability to take advantage of their second half pressure opened the floodgates for plenty of goading of the opposition from the sidelines. Every one of Leicester’s handling errors was picked up on, as was the Leicester fly half’s chronic inability to find touch. This culminated in a small pitch invasion as Warwick scored the try to make the game safe, concluding a good day on and off the pitch.

12348219_10201077752102264_1461717553_n

Badminton dominates Desso Hall

Events in Desso Hall were played out to a soundtrack of squeaky shoes as three Warwick Badminton teams were in action. The Men’s 2s were up against Oxford, and although Boar support was in the Warwick camp you couldn’t help but feel sorry for one Oxford player after one particular rally. A perfectly executed drop shot through his legs deserved to win the point, yet a Warwick return that only just fell the right side of the net left him stranded. He may never again hit a shot as perfect as that in his life, but to no avail.

12319683_10201077751982261_1830088925_n

Who you gonna call? BUCS Medics!

No matter what you might say about BUCS spectatorship on the whole, there are at least a couple of spectators you’re guaranteed to get every week, rain or shine: The St John’s Ambulance crew. Their knowledge of Rugby League, they admitted to me wasn’t the best, but their understanding of the human anatomy more than makes up for it. They looked on eagerly after every crunching tackle and awkward ankle rolling sprint- the prospect of whipping out their medical gear and bursting into action a strangely thrilling one. Unsung heroes for sure.

Picture of the week

12346710_10201077752062263_482078748_n

#scenes as Men’s Rugby score the deciding try in their victory over against Leicester