#BUCSWednesday Notepad: Week 10

As the dust settles on another year of fascinating BUCS sport #TeamWarwick looked to put 2015’s final #BUCSWednesday to bed emphatically, and that they did- finishing of this week’s proceedings to the tune of 18 wins. Amongst the bright spots were superb performances by the Warwick’s Men’s Football fraternity who saw their 1’s, 3’s and 4’s secure impressive wins, whilst elsewhere, Men’s Tennis were also triple winners as well our Hockey sides out on Westwood. With the new year swiftly approaching, all eyes on campus turn to the biggest sporting showcase this side of the Midlands: Varsity. It’s encouraging to see several clubs peaking at the right moment. Onwards and upwards, it’ll soon be time to #SmashThePoly once more.

Results at a glance

18 Wins, 14 Losses, 1 Draw

Game of The Week

Men’s Football 1st Team 5- 0University of East Anglia 1st Team

A-Rob corner

Warwick Men’s 1’s channel their inner Barcelona to destroy UEA in #GameofTheWeek

It’s a universally recognised fact that it’s one thing to win a football match and another to win a football match with style. There’s nothing better than watching a cohesive, well drilled side pass with precision, move the ball in the final third with flair and score a truckload of goals. Think back to all the great sides of yesteryear: Netherland’s Total Football, the Arsenal Invincibles, Modern Barcelona, they all hurt their opponents with a clinical type of beauty. In the final #GameoftheWeek this term, the Warwick Men’s Football First team staked their claim for the title of most in form sports team on campus with an emphatic 5-0 thrashing of East Anglia’s first team. Their opponents found themselves on the backfoot from kick off, some goalkeeping heroics only served to delay the inevitable avalanche. The fixture saw Andreas Kyprianou enter the Warwick sporting history books with a quick fire second half hat trick, taking him past the 50 goal mark for UWMFC. Ever present on the scoresheet, Dre’s devastating finishing has been key to seeing his side’s elevation to top spot in Midlands 2A: 7 games, 7 wins. 34 goals for, 2 against. Quite a record to go into the Winter break with.

DRE THE MONSTER

Solveig inspired Hockey double up for consecutive victories on Cryfield

A double dose of first team hockey was on show this BUCS Wednesday at Fortress Westwood as the Ladies’ 1s lined up against Coventry 1s while the Men’s 1s faced Loughborough 3s, back to back clashes which could make a Sky Super Sunday jealous.The Boar turned cameraman for the El Covico, a naive recruitment as I was no more effective in keeping up with Warwick’s attacking play than the Coventry defence. My own long shots were somewhat outdone by Warwick’s, who scored seven goals for just one in return. Continuing the kind of form that made them Boar Power Number 1 last time out with a dominant mini-Varsity display, the side are well on their way to their #projectpromotion ambitions.

camermannnAt the late kick-off the men overcame a less than convincing choice in warm up music with a more than convincing performance, bringing about a superb 7-5 victory. And end-to-end, pulsating game, Loughborough were ultimately unable to match Warwick, as the home side stole the show in the second half. Never before could it be said that Martin Solveig had inspired a gallant victory, until now.