Photo: Flickr / Kmeron

Twenty One Pilots: O2 Institute, Birmingham

This concert confirmed for me that Twenty One Pilots are, without a doubt, my favourite band. I was left with a feeling of elation and an overwhelming desire to weep with joy. The experience was almost spiritual.

For anyone who is not entirely sure who Twenty One Pilots are, they are formed of two members: best friends Tyler Joseph and Joshua Dun. One of the great things about Twenty One Pilots is that their genre is hard to describe; a mixture of hip hop, pop and indie alternative. Josh is on drums, Tyler is the vocalist: playing piano, ukulele, and an array of other mediums tailored to each song.

One of the great things about Twenty One Pilots is that their genre is hard to describe; a mixture of hip hop, pop and indie alternative.

Earlier this year they released their fourth album, Blurryface – their second album since signing to the label Fueled By Ramen. They’ve become something of a phenomenon, amassing a large cult following who call themselves the Skeleton Clique. This is no doubt due not just to their unique sound, but to their poetic lyrics, with which many can identify and their positive message: “stay alive”.  They also happen to be very beautiful. Basically, if you haven’t done so already, check them out – they’re bloody awesome.

As a two-man band, they’re conscious of making up for the free space on stage, putting their all into their live shows. And they certainly didn’t disappoint. They stormed onstage with fast-paced ‘HeavyDirtySoul’, and the crowd, having been fidgeting with anticipation, went crazy. The energy was electrifying from start to finish; so much so that the intimate venue could barely contain it. Josh played the drums with astounding speed and flair. Tyler went between singing and rapping with ease, darting and across the stage, practically convulsing as he lost himself in the music; always with a tinge of emotion in his voice, so that you knew he meant every word he sang.

Practically convulsing as he lost himself in the music, always with a tinge of emotion in his voice, you knew he meant every word he sang.

Whilst their performance would have been enough alone, they were accompanied by a dazzling display of multi coloured lights and CO2 cannons, adding to the atmosphere. The crowd aptly responded to the performance on stage; swaying, bouncing, singing back every word and even attempting to keep up with Tyler’s rapping.

There were so many moments that make Twenty One Pilots’ live performances really stand out; Josh did one of his traditional backflips off the piano, Josh crowd-surfed with his drum kit! Tyler finished ‘Car Radio’ standing on the edge of balcony, dancing care free above the crowd. And finally the show culminated with Tyler and Josh being held up by the crowd, as they drummed to the stunning song ‘Trees’, whilst confetti rained down and the whole spectacle was bathed in light; CO2 cannons erupting behind them.

It takes a good deal of time before the stomping, clapping and cheers from the crowd die down enough for  Tyler to say, ‘Thank you, we are Twenty One Pilots and so are you.’ I still have goose-bumps.

Due to popular demand, Twenty One Pilots now have a UK tour in February next year. They will be at the O2 Academy in Birmingham on Tuesday the 23rd. Forget your degree, get tickets while they last.