#BUCSWednesday Notepad: Week 6

The only thing better than a BUCS Wednesday? A BUCS Cup Wednesday. The stakes are higher, the atmosphere is charged and the prospect of cup glory gives every encounter a special kind of intensity. Week 6 saw some of Warwick’s finest sporting outfits in a destructive mood, lopsided scorelines punctuated a number of performances. Advancing in the cup is one thing, advancing in style is another. Special shoutouts to Men’s Football 1’s and 2’s, Women’s Football 2’s, Ladies Hockey 1’s and the Men’s Rugby 1’s who James Roberts and Oscar Mayhew had the pleasure of watching. Onwards and upwards they go.

A good days work: Warwick Football 1’s 2’s and 3’s advance into last 16 of BUCS Cup

Both Warwick 1’s and 2’s advanced through to the next stages of the cup at Cryfield with comfortable wins against Leicester and Derby respectively. A great passing display from the 1’s was not dented by number 7 seemingly pulling his man-bun, which required further attention from the doctors on hand. The 2’s meanwhile managed to overcome an opposition captain intent on getting sent off and somehow failing in that endeavour. This means that, with the Warwick 3’s also heroically progressing after defeating Nottingham away from home, 3 of the last 16 teams left in the BUCS cup are Warwick sides.

Men's Footy Week 6

UWLHC hammer Nottingham trent; make the trip to Westwood worth it for once

This game of the week brought a comfortable victory for Warwick women’s hockey, with the 1s putting 12 past Nottingham Trent 3’s in the first round of the cup without conceding. The curse of the pink racing stripe kit did no favours for Trent, who were outshone by the commitment and enthusiasm of the Warwick side, although that was unmatched by the commitment of my own personal trek from Cryfield to Westwood. All so that you don’t have to.

UWWFC 2nd team batter BCU behind second half surge

Warwick 2’s faced BCU 2’s at Cryfield looking to progress to the next round of the cup. Some wayward first half shooting from the home side often left the BCU keeper fulfilling the role of ballgirl. In hindsight this may have been a clever tactic to tire her out – Warwick scored five second half goals to win 7-0, but such was their dominance that it could easily have been double figures.

Fixture of the Week Image

Amongst cramping referees and carnage, UWRFC overcome Harper Adams

The first team were up against Harper Adams in a match that was closely fought from the first whistle to the last. With the score at 13-8 to Warwick the referee used a break in play to get some much-needed rest. On closer inspection it transpired that he had cramp, but even if he just wanted a lie down, who can really blame him. Warwick eventually held out for a deserved 23-15 win.

Pictures of the day

Cramps are never fun, who would've thought the ref would succumb to one first though?

Cramps are never fun, who would’ve thought the ref would succumb to one first though?

Keeper turned ball girl: Errant shooting by the women's 2nd team in the first half had BCU's keeper running into the bushes more often than not

Keeper turned ball girl: Errant shooting by the women’s 2nd team in the first half had BCU’s keeper running into the bushes more often than not

Lest we forget: Fixtures were proceeded by a silence to remember those who lost their lives fighting fighting in conflicts all over the world.