Image: Alexis Dubus

Alumnus Alexis Dubus returns to Warwick for Hal Cruttenden’s charity fundraiser

Supporting Hal Cruttenden at is his charity fundraiser is ex-student Alexis Dubus, who I was lucky enough to speak to about his return to Warwick.
Are you pleased to be back at Warwick?
‘It’s always fun returning to Warwick campus. It’s where I wrote my first comedy routine, got my first and only “proper” job (sabbatical officer – that counts!) and burned my first Pop Tart. I assume students still eat those.
‘I’ve actually been back to the Arts Centre a couple of times since to do my tour shows. The first time they even left me a little “welcome back” note in the dressing room, which was lovely.’
What was your time here like as a student?
‘While studying at Warwick I was involved in pretty much every drama and performing society, quite often to the detriment of my studies (Philosophy & Psychology). As it happened, my path turned out to be making people laugh rather than making people think (although I like to think I occasionally combine the two), so I guess it was time well spent.’
Does the prospect of being back at Warwick bring back any memories from your student days?
‘I still have memories of performing Sweeney Todd in that performance space, involving a barber’s chair/trapdoor mechanism that nearly took our heads off on the way down and actually concussed one actor in rehearsals. People assume we must get nervous doing stand-up. If I start sweating on November 8 I’m putting it down to flashbacks to that bloody chair.’