Photo: Flickr / rickmwalker

Karl Pilkington and The Moaning of Life

We are often told that Karl Pilkington is an idiot – indeed, his first travel series was entitled An Idiot Abroad, and dealt with Karl’s unique way of seeing the world with hilarious consequences (for example, on learning the reason giraffes had long necks, Karl asked ‘why didn’t evolution make a giraffe good at carpentry so it could build a ladder?’). Forcing Karl into unusual circumstances (especially given his dislike of travel) has made for brilliant comedy.

Karl has seen the Seven Wonders of the World, done most of the things on a bucket list, emulated Marco Polo’s journey to China and in The Moaning of Life, he visits other countries to learn how they face life’s big issues and reassesses his way of thinking about the world. The first series dealt with the questions of marriage, happiness, kids, money and death, and the second series is following suit, with Karl having examined art, the idea of identity and the correct way to live your life. And, funny as it undoubtedly is, it is also captivating and eye-opening television.

Karl has developed from the reluctant traveller that we first saw on screen in 2010

As the series begins, we see Karl more willing to engage with things and try out new experiences – no more being kidnapped by fake terrorists or enjoying on of Ricky Gervais’ diversions – and this works all the better. As Karl explored art, he tackled different facets – from traditional to modern art (all of which he found useless), but also men who dedicate their time to beautifying dog poo. He met a woman who throws up on canvas, and tried his hand at punch-painting. Karl’s penchant for the weird and the different means we get to explore different tacks of a field – I can’t imagine any BBC4 documentary where a refined professor-type explains why the ‘Loch Mess Monster’ is art.

Karl has developed from the reluctant traveller that we first saw on screen in 2010, but his temperament and personality remains reassuringly constant, and his dry sense of humour as funny as ever. However, he seems to have acquired more of an enthusiasm for getting involved – his street performance in Times Square was incredible, with Karl properly getting into his role and enjoying himself.

It is incredibly funny, but perhaps more interesting is how insightful it is too

The important thing about Karl, and the show as a whole, is that we never have a feeling of judgement. We are shown a variety of things that are normal and far from it, but all Karl wants to do is learn – he is naturally curious and we, through him, can learn a lot about things we’ve never even considered. When Karl was learning about polygamy, his first instinct was to distrust it, but he got involved and quizzed the man and all of his wives, reporting back any faults and advantages that he could see. He is always willing to consider new information, and to think about things from a different perspective. (Of course, when asked about what he would search for in extra wives, he reverted back to his pragmatic way of thinking, answering a dentist ‘because I’m always spending loads on me teeth’ and a plumber ‘because I’m always having problems with the fucking boiler.’)

As the show is marketed as a comedy, it is incredibly funny, but perhaps more interesting is how insightful it is too. The episode on identity ends with Karl meeting a man who likes to spend his days as a woman, using a masker suit to do so. Karl is willing to try too, putting on a suit and being thrown by having breasts, and the amount of effort he then spends choosing what clothes to wear. It ends with a walk to the beach, and Karl reflecting that identity should be whatever makes you happy – providing you are content in your own skin and with who you are, what’s wrong with that? Not a bad close from an episode that started with Karl falling in love with a new wig.

The Moaning of Life is a rare breed of show, something that is as funny as it is thought provoking. Karl’s view of the world is an incredible one, inclusive and always eager to learn more about others and the way of the world, and it’s one you should get to experience. This is one show that you simply shouldn’t miss.