Photo: Flickr / Kmeron

Four unmissable gigs in first term

Boar Music‘s best offer their personal picks for nearby gigs in the coming weeks.

James Bay | 8th October, O2 Academy Birmingham

Fresh from a number of festival appearances (most importantly, a slot on the Pyramid Stage at this year’s Glastonbury), James Bay is one of the most thrilling singer songwriters of recent, with soulful vocals and infectious folk driven tracks. Forgetting the fact that he won the 2015 BRITs Critic’s Choice Award, Bay has become a radio favourite, with ‘Let It Go’ and ‘Hold Back The River’ receiving endless playtime this summer. Be sure not to let these tickets go.

Jay Chauhan

Lucy Rose | 13th November, Warwick Arts Centre

Warwickshire’s Lucy Rose has made a name for herself as having a sensationally unique acoustic voice that has led to her being featured on efforts by the likes of Bombay Bicycle Club. Having just released her top 10 charting sophomore album ‘Work It Out’, which saw her experiment with a bolder and more polished sound, she is definitely one not to miss this November, particularly as Warwick students get discount tickets when they book directly through the Arts Centre.

Jay Chauhan

Everything Everything | 14th November, O2 Academy Birmingham

Having recently returned with their third album, Get to Heaven, in their classic glitchy electro-pop style, Everything Everything are ready to make you dance. Infectious beats and booming bass lines will mean you can’t help but move your feet, whilst singer Jonathan Higgs blows your mind, rattling off syllables as quickly as possible. A show of this band’s ambition to bring back pop is something not to be missed, and it’d be a great way to start exploring further afield from campus.

Jess Mason

Ghostpoet | 20th November, The Copper Rooms

Off the back of his third album, Shedding Skin, Ghostpoet (AKA Obaro Ejimiwe) is once again hitting the tour trail, and this time has added Warwick’s Copper Rooms to his dates. Unique, versatile and off-kilter, the Mercury nominated Ghostpoet offers a genre of his own making: combining Hip Hop, Grime and, at times, alternative rock to bring something entirely original to the table of new music, which in recent years has begun to feel stale and repetitive. This gig is one to be added to the diary, as it promises to be an exciting evening filled with great music, and may even signpost what the future of music has to offer.

Flora Havelock