Photo: UniCycle at Warwick / Facebook

‘Boris bikes’ on campus

The University of Warwick has introduced a new UniCycle scheme.

A new cycle scheme has been introduced at the University of Warwick campus, offering bikes to hire for all students and staff.

Reminiscent of the Boris Bikes in London, students and staff can rent a bike for either a quick ten-minute journey, or a whole day.

There are 50 bikes available at 9 UniCycle stations including on central campus, Gibbet Hill and Westwood, up for hire 24 hours a day.

You can hire bikes pay-as-you go, or register for an annual subscription with reduced hire charges, if you’re a regular user.

Students and staff have to register on the Warwick website beforehand, with the option to then use an online booking system, a smart phone app, or make a phone call to unlock a bike.

Warwick Business School students, Stan Jallot and Gal Israeli, collaborated with the University to
create the scheme.

Pay-as-you go prices are £1 for 30 minutes of use, and cheaper for longer hire. Cheaper options are also available with a subscription.

Alex Buxton, communications manager for the University, commented: “It is hoped that the UniCycle scheme will help to create an even greener, more accessible campus at the University of Warwick.”