Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick places in world’s top 50 universities for the first time

The University of Warwick has placed in the world’s top 50 universities in the latest QS rankings.

Warwick jumped 13 paces from 61st last year to 48th in rankings released today.

A change in the methodology used to calculate the rankings increases the focus placed on arts and humanities. This contributed to Warwick’s rise, according to the Guardian reports: five out of 10 of the Warwick subjects QS ranked in the top 50 fall under arts and humanities.

These include History (15th), English Literature (22nd), and Sociology (23rd).

The University and Durham and the London School of Economics (LSE) also benefited from this new focus, with Durham jumping from 92nd place to 61st, and LSE from 71st to 35th.

Warwick’s increase to 48th place means it joins 9 other UK universities in the top 50, including the likes of the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford and four London-based universities.

Second-year English and Creative Writing student Charlotte Newbury expressed pride at this new ranking: “It feels great to see the place you study be given recognition of this sort.”

“It makes me feel very proud to say I attend – according to the rankings – one of the best universities in the world.”

Warwick’s outgoing vice-chancellor, professor sir Nigel Thrift, was similarly as positive. He said: “The University of Warwick’s placing in the top 50 universities in the world is a clear demonstration of the global renown for our dedication to research and academic excellence, ground-breaking international collaborations and attracting the highest standard staff and students from around the globe.

“As we continue to celebrate our 50th anniversary the QS ranking is a fitting tribute to the work of Warwick staff and students that has underpinned our success.”