Photo: Adult Swim

Rick and Morty – ‘Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate’

It’s a little heretical to say this as a Rick and Morty fan, but I didn’t really like the interdimensional cable episode. ‘Rixty Minutes’ was an interesting instalment, boasting a very well-written family plot that actually explored the concept of split timelines, but the improv bits were… well, off. Some made me laugh, but it was a weak premise. So when I learned that this week’s episode would be a sequel, ‘Interdimensional Cable 2’, I was worried. Having seen it, I shared exactly the same sentiment – an interesting main story was frequently bogged down by weaker improv cable elements.

Jerry has been taken to an alien hospital after consuming one of Rick’s super-bacteria. The doctors manage to save him, but his doctor (Gary Cole) presents him with a moral dilemma when he regains consciousness. Shrimply Pibbles (Werner Herzog), an alien civil rights leader who is known as the most important man in the universe, has a failing heart – Jerry can save him by sacrificing his human penis, but does he have the fortitude to make such a choice? Meanwhile, as the family wait to hear news about Jerry’s condition, Rick rigs up the hospital TV so he can watch some more interdimensional cable.

For a stupid-sounding story about penises, ‘Interdimensional Cable 2’ may be one of the best Jerry episodes we’ve seen. It perfectly nails the fundamentals of his personality – he wants to be seen as a good person, but he also wants to keep his penis and his basic cowardice seeks to avoid confrontation as he does. Jerry being Jerry, he tries to get Beth to fight his battle for him. When this fails, he attempts to publicly shame Pibbles into refusing his heart, and this too goes wrong. Obviously, his stubbornness leads to a breaking point, and then he takes it too far. I was a little disappointed with the lack of stakes ending, which feels out-of-character for Rick and Morty, but then it ends with another great Jerry line, so swings and roundabouts.

‘Interdimensional Cable 2’ benefits from the same highs and lows as ‘Rixty Minutes’

Once again, the story stumbles once again on the strength of the interdimensional cable segments, which feel even looser this time round. Some of them are funny – I particularly enjoyed ‘The Adventures of Stealy’, who breaks into offices, stealing office supplies and people, and then taking them to his underground lair in exchange for ‘grepples’. I think, though, that they failed to land more often than they hit, and randomness can only go so far in sustaining this premise.

‘Interdimensional Cable 2’ benefits from the same highs and lows as ‘Rixty Minutes’, and produces a lesser episode as a result. The character-driven plotline is a strong one that does a lot for Jerry, but is bogged down by weak cable segments. It’s fun and there are lots of laughs, but Rick and Morty already have a better version of this story in their back catalogue already.

Best lines:

‘What are you doing?’ – ‘A sequel’ – ‘I don’t understand’ – ‘Yeah, me neither, we pretty much nailed it the first time’ – Rick’s exchange with a nurse is nice and meta

‘Maybe people who create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities’ – Morty rants at Summer while watching cable, with a lesson that many people could do with learning

One-off character:

He only gets a small scene, but Werner Herzog is perfectly cast as Pibbles. Hearing his deadly serious voice describe humanity’s fascination with the penis is surreal, and really funny. It’s a shame that we didn’t get to see more of him, but not a moment is wasted.

Post-credit scene:

Jerry looks through Rick’s cupboard, after something to eat, and finds Rick’s box of Eyeholes cereal. He eats a couple and is then attacked by the Eyehole Man, in a nice call-back to one of the cable segments earlier in the episode.