Boar Sport Club Files: Fencing

“Stick them with the pointy end.” Jon Snow

Fencing logo

Facebook

Twitter

Website

Advice to incoming freshers 

We’ll teach you how to hold a sword (which we provide along with all the protective kit needed!), you just do your best to hit someone with it. We are a fairly relaxed club with a fab coach so just come along in sports clothes making sure you wear something which covers your legs.

Targets for next season 

In the words of our Men’s Team Captain “Goal is simple, improve and be in the top two of our league. Get more commitment to transcend the club by increasing the number of freshers in the team, as I was a fresher who joined the team the year I started fencing in Warwick!” 

Training times and venues 

Tuesday evenings 8-10 and Wednesday evenings 7.30-10, Westwood games hall.

Club president

Khadar Jama, a Politics and International Studies second year who started fencing just last year at freshers so who says you can’t make a big splash by trying out something new?

Number of members 

Around 90 this year.

[divider]

Teams and Competitions

Number of teams 

We have a Women’s and Men’s First Teams which we hold try outs for. In fencing there are three different weapons, each with different rules and you normally have 3-4 fencers per weapon. We have specialists in all three weapons. Our teams make for a nice close knit group of people out to have some fun.

Women’s Team Captain: Camila Clark a second year Physicist who’s fenced for four years.

Women’s Team Captain: Camilla Clark a second year Physicist who’s fenced for four years.

Men’s Team Captain: Audoin de Ménibus a Politics and International Studies third year, who re-started fencing at Warwick at Freshers and is now Team Captain.

[divider]

Social

Biggest club social 

Our regulars are the pub after fencing, coffee socials and cinema trips; though larger more drunken escapades do crop up every now and then. Also looking into doing some joint socials with other combat sports clubs.

Club BNOC 

We do have some characters to be sure, but whether they count as big names yet… only time will tell.

fencing training sesh

fencing sword