Photo: Baltic Development Forum / Flickr

New vice-chancellor appointed by all-white panel

The recent decision to appoint Stuart Croft as the next vice-chancellor of the University of Warwick was made by an all-white panel, the University has confirmed.

The panel, which consisted of eight members, included 4 men and 4 women but no ethnic minorities.

The gender split of the panel was equal and included outgoing SU President Cat Turhan representing the student voice

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy for the University, stated: “The panel was chaired by the (male) Chair of Council and consisted of 4 men and 4 women.”

“All were white.”

According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency, 79% of academics in the year 2013-14 were of white ethnicity. The figure is higher when it comes to non-academic staff, with 84% being white.

These statistics highlight a discrepancy in higher education as a whole when it comes to race and ethnicity.

The University also revealed that there were a range of genders and ethnicities represented in the shortlisted candidates for the role of vice-chancellor.

The shortlisted candidates included individuals from Continental Europe, North America and Australia. There were also a variety of both male and female candidates.

However, the University would not specify who these individuals were.

In the same week that Warwick appointed a new vice-chancellor, Warwick alumna Baroness Valerie Amos was appointed as the director of SOAS.

Baroness Amos’ appointment makes her the first black woman to lead a UK university.

• Of course it’s important, exciting and simply better when things are racially diverse. But this article does not consider what is beyond the colour of ones skin. There has been no comment on the background or experiences of these individuals and that is what truly makes up a group of people. They may have all come from a rich middle class background – they may have not – but it should be addressed if you are commenting on the diversity of a group in any capacity.