Photo: BBC, Ragdoll Ltd, and Mitch Jenkins

The Story of Children’s Television from 1946 to Today

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]f you grew up without watching and children’s television, your childhood was clearly deprived. The sheer variety and, in most cases, incredible quality of children’s television shows was responsible for shaping the minds and souls of many kids nationwide.

So, when I heard about ‘The Story of Children’s Television from 1946 to Today,’ an exhibition at the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum in Coventry (in partnership with Warwick’s very own Film and Television Studies Department), I was very excited to attend.

I was greeted first by a wall of catchphrases, where visitors are meant to see if they can match them to the right show, and then moved into the main exhibition.

Muffin the Mule. Photo: Flickr / Headphonaught

Around the walls, you could follow the development of children’s television from the 40s to the present day. It was split into six eras – the early BBC, the introductions of ITV and BBC2, and so on – and each section had a TV showing a number of clips, adorned with props and collectibles.

The early BBC section showed us Muffin the Mule, with the actual Muffin stood in a glass case, looking on next to it. A similar thing was achieved later on, with Going Live!‘s Gordon the Gopher, clad in the leather jacket that Adam Ant had given to him.

The history aspect was nice, and then, towards the later years of the exhibition, I got my chance to feel nostalgic. Clips from SMTV, for example, made me feel like a child again (and also to marvel at how vividly I remembered some of these shows with a bit of prompting).

Photo: Flickr / Elliott Brown

After that, I took a look at some of the more focused stands in the middle – a closer examination of Blue Peter, dramas, and the evolution of puppetry. Again, these were reinforced with props, so we got to see Anthea Turner’s model of Tracy Island, something a fellow observer remembered making.

Round the corner, there was a special section on Ragdoll Productions, a company located in Stratford-upon-Avon that produced many kids’ shows. This had a number of interesting props, including Brum, and the whole family of the Teletubbies (and some Tubby Toast, which is much bigger than you’d imagine). I never realised this company was local, and I was really captivated (although also slightly annoyed at having the theme to Tots TV running around my head).

I think the experience is summed up best by the end of the exhibition, which encourages you to write down your favourite TV show or character. A quick glance showed the plethora of ages getting involved, and it really speaks for the appeal that children’s television holds.

As I walked around, I saw old ladies getting as excited as the young children were, whether it was in reaction to The Woodentops or to Mr Bloom’s Nursery

If you have the chance (and you’ve got until mid-September, so I’m sure you can find the change), I really recommend you go  – if you ever had a childhood, you won’t be disappointed!