Photo: Argonne National Laboratory / Flickr

Jaguar engineering scholarship re-opens for Women

Jaguar Land Rover launched its Range Rover Scholarship for women embarking on or currently undertaking an engineering, maths or physics degree courses on 1 April 2015.

The scholarship was started in 2013 by Zara Philips.

Women in Science & Engineering (WISE) aims to increase young female participation in technology and engineering. Successful applicants receive £1000 per year towards their studies and mentoring support from key women within the industry.

The selection process includes an application form and interview. The closing date for applications is 28 July 2015 and the winner will be announced in London at the Annual WISE Awards and conference on 12 November 2015.

Following on from improvements to the scholarship in 2014, the programme has been expanded to create two separate awards – one for an undergraduate and the other for an apprentice.

In 2014 the winner for the Apprentice Award was Ruby Holmes, who is currently working through her an Advanced Technical apprenticeship at Rolls-Royce.

She said: “I felt honoured to be awarded for the Range Rover Evogue WISE Scholarship in 2014 and it is great to see it open again for 2015, giving a helping hand to more young women like me.

The programme provides fantastic support, both from a financial and mentorship view point, and I personally excited to be working as an ambassador, encouraging more girls to choose amazing careers in the industry.”

Ruby’s mentor and WISE Young Women’s Board Member, Hannah Goodall, senior engineer for Network Rail added: “I am really looking forward to regularly meeting with Ruby to discuss her career aspirations.

I believe mentoring relationships have a positive impact on career development. I hope to be able to support and challenge Ruby, introduce new ideas and discuss positive steps Ruby can take going forward.”

While the number of young women embarking on technology or engineering courses in the UK is on the rise, there are only a fifth of the working women in the UK in the science, technology and engineering industries.

The percentage of women in STEM occupations is less than ten per cent.

Nicci Cook, Jaguar Land Rover senior HR manager in product development, said: “Since the inaugural year we have seen some amazing winners come through the Scholarship, and we are delighted to be running the programme for a third year.

“Jaguar Land Rover is constantly striving to encourage more young women into the industry and through programmes such as the Range Rover Evoque WISE Scholarship we hope to maintain the UK’s reputation as a centre of excellence for engineering for a long time to come.”

You can apply for the scholarship online here.