Photo: amira_a / flickr

Warwick students support student occupation at the University of Amsterdam

More than a hundred students from a range of organisations such as De Nieuwe Universiteit, Schuldegeneratie, Humanities rally and Ons Kritisch Altenatief occupied a faculty building at the University of Amsterdam on February 12.

The students have been operating under the heading De Nieuwe Universitieit, (the New University).

Their demands include the democratic election of the university board, fixed contracts instead of flexible staff appointments and an open debate about housing costs in relation to budget cuts of research and education.

Warwick For Free Education (WFFE) have declared “Solidarity with the Universiteit Van Amsterdam Occupation!” along with the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts, who have also offered support to the occupation.

Students from WFFE stated in their blog: “International solidarity between student movements is essential if we want to out a general challenge to the ways in which education is being attacked.

“Student movements in the UK, the Netherlands, Mexico, Quebec, Hong Kong, the U.S., Nigeria, Australia and elsewhere all share the same desire: to liberate education.”

The University of Amsterdam initiated preliminary relief proceedings against the protesters in the Bungehuis building on Thursday 19 February,

The court ruled in favour of the University which meant that all of the protesters would permanently have to vacate the building.

According to the University, Louise Gunning-Schepers, president of the executive board, explained that the reason for the preliminary relief proceedings was because of interference to staff caused by the protests.

Ms Gunnng-Schepers said: “We find it unacceptable that hundreds of staff members are being hindered in their duties by a small group of protesters.

“In the meanwhile, people want to go to work, research is being adversely affected and lectures cancelled. This situation cannot be allowed to continue.”

On Tuesday 24 February riot police became involved in the student occupation and 46 people were arrested. A few of the arrested activists were released on the same day, however, many had to stay the night in cells and were released the next day.

A protest march ‘For Democratic Higher Education’ soon followed. National Dutch broadcaster NOS reported that, “somewhat more than a thousand people” attended the demonstration.

A similar occupation took place at the University of Warwick in December 2014.