The Best Games on the Nintendo 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS is perhaps best known for its ability to play games in 3D – via a combination of sending different images to each eye and magic, the player can experience a world that seems as though you are in it. Lesser known, perhaps, is that beyond embracing another dimension, the console is supported by a catalogue of incredible games, and in order to celebrate the release of the new 3DS in Europe, we’re going to have a look at some of the best ones.

[divider]

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Super-Smash-Bros.-2014-Nintendo-3DS-Wallpaper

Nintendo’s perennial beat-em-up which pits classic characters against each other – fancy punching your favourite game mascot in the face? Good news – you can! This instalment is the first handheld edition, and boasts an increased roster of characters including Pacman, Mega Man and Dark Pit (for all those people who would like Pit more if he had a different colour tunic) and it packed with replay value. A lark on your own, and great with friends.

Pokemon X/Y

Pokemon-X-Y-Wallpaper-BY-Darkigfx

Making the task of catching them all ever tougher by bringing the total of Pokemon up to 720, this version places the player in the Kalos region and has them set on the quest to be the best whilst battling fashionista lunatics Team Flare. The first game in 3D, this game introduced Mega Evolution and the Fairy-type, shaking up the franchise and adding a new challenge for a whole new generation of trainers. Despite some lazy designs (a sword and a set of keys leap to mind), this game is well worth it for fans of the series and players anew.

Pushmo

pushmo-world-wallpaper

This quaint little puzzler is one of the more obscure entries on this list, but is every bit as fun. Mallo (a sumo who looks a bit like a deformed Shy Guy) must free children trapped in the Pushmo structures, moving blocks in order to do so. However, the limitations on moving the blocks may this a lot easier said than done, resulting in a number of quite challenging puzzles that will have players scratching their heads.

Super Mario 3D Land

super_mario_land_3d_wallpaper_by_mediacriggz-d58eubr

Everyone’s favourite fat Italian plumber hero Mario returns for a new adventure, returning to his platforming roots for a new adventure, reminiscent of the original Super Mario Bros. games but combined with elements from the free-roaming 3D games. A number of new power-ups and some old classics (we’ve missed you, Tanooki Leaf) aid Mario on his quest to rescue Princess Peach, and then tackling a number of bonus worlds with his brother.

Mario Kart 7

mario-kart-7-wallpaper-fly-and-race

Mario crops up again, this time in the newest version of the classic driving series. One of the oldest games released for the platform, MK7 remains as good as ever – as well as driving, this game introduced underwater and hang-gliding sections on the track and the ability to customise your vehicle. Pretty much endless replay value, and this is the perfect game to play with your friends – and the satisfaction of blue shelling your buddy just before he crosses the finish line remains very high indeed.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AnimalCrossing_wallpaper_1920x1200-A

The return of another favourite series – life simulator Animal Crossing features the player living in a town with a bunch of animals, but this time grants them the role of mayor, allowing them to customise the town as they see fit as well. It is played in real time, making it a truly yearly experience – the joy of seeing your town come alive is one to behold. And fans will be pleased to hear that sinister resident kingpin Tom Nook is back, this time in charge of the local housing company and being as shifty as ever.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

the_legend_of_zelda__a_link_between_worlds_by_hylianluke-d6cxtjz

Here’s a game that harks back to an equally exciting era of gaming – nearly twenty-five years after the release of A Link to the Past and following the same top-down open world of that game, this follow-up is set six generations after, and sees our hero head off on another quest. Incorporating features such as the ability to turn into a painting and to rent weapons (allowing you to tackle dungeons in any order you choose, alleviating the common gaming issue of a particularly troublesome level), this game is another instalment of the classic adventure game – I can’t see it not being enjoyed unless the player suffers a horrendous allergy to fun.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

original

The Professor Layton saga continues, with top-hatted dapper gent Layton returning for the sixth time in pursuit of the Azran Legacies in a story I can’t ruin for you in case you fancy playing (it is completely enjoyable on its own, of course, without requiring a comprehensive knowledge of the other five). It is an utterly charming puzzler, testing the player’s grey matter and offering a charming story as a system to do so.

Fire Emblem: Awakenings

fire_emblem_awakening_background_2560_x_1600_by_garagelobster-d5zre9i

Here, we have a turn-based tactical role playing game that pits the player against opposing forces, making them think about their attack by being a game in which death is permanent. Widely acclaimed, another new dynamic is the unfamiliar concept of love – characters can develop feelings for each other, providing stat boosts and adding another level to the incredibly rich design that makes this one of the best strategy games on any system.

[divider_top]

Twitter_logo_blueWhat is your favourite 3DS game? Let us know and tweet @BoarGames!