Source: Flickr/ Jens Schott Knudsen

Interview with former Boar TV Editor Joshua Murray

Deputy TV Editor Ellie Campbell got the chance to talk to Joshua Murray, the section’s previous editor, on life after graduation.

Boar TV: Could you tell us a bit about what you’ve been up to since graduating from Warwick?

Joshua Murray: I am currently studying for an NCTJ multimedia journalism diploma at the News Associates in London. As well as taking course modules like reporting and media law, I am also learning the priceless skill of shorthand – very hard work! On top of that, I am doing a weekly placement at Rugby World Magazine, which is great experience for the type of journalism I want to go into.

Writing regularly for the paper and spending so much time around so many great student journalists helped me to hone my writing skills and pick up some pretty useful tips!

Boar TV: How has your being former TV editor at the Boar, and any other experience you may have gained, helped you?

Joshua Murray: My experiences at the Boar have helped massively in what I have done since leaving Warwick. Writing regularly for the paper and spending so much time around so many great student journalists helped me to hone my writing skills and pick up some pretty useful tips! Also, student journalism offers you complete freedom – you can write about pretty much anything that interests you!

As for my time as TV editor, the experience of managing a section, both in the paper and online, has proven really helpful. Journalism is moving more and more towards becoming a web-based industry, and managing an online section of the Boar made me feel more prepared when I started the course I am currently studying.

Joshua Murray, 21, is currently studying for an NCTJ multimedia journalism diploma at the News Associates in London (Photo source: Joshua Murray)

Boar TV: Why would you encourage current students to get involved with the Boar and other societies whilst at Warwick?

Joshua Murray: Societies like the Boar are what made my university experience, personally. They are a great way to meet new people, and can often offer much-needed respite from the continual stress of assignments/essays etc! If you are looking at going into a specialist area after university (like journalism and the media) then gaining experience at places like the Boar can give you a great insight, and this experience will always give you things to talk about in interviews/applications.

Boar TV: It’s a common thought that nowadays simply getting a good degree is not enough to get a job after leaving university, but society involvement is also paramount. Is this something that you’ve found?

Joshua Murray: I would say that is definitely true. Obviously your degree is hugely important, but the experience and skills that you get through involvement with societies make a big difference when you are applying for jobs or grad schemes. Helping with societies not only shows that you are able to manage your time well between studies and extracurricular activities, it also offers a depth to your experiences and allows you to specialise in areas that you might want to explore after graduation.

My time at Warwick absolutely helped me to make my mind up about going into journalism. My experiences at the Boar, RaW and WTV allowed me the freedom to see what I enjoyed doing – and whether I was any good at it!

Boar TV: How has your time at Warwick helped you to get where you are now?

Joshua Murray: My time at Warwick absolutely helped me to make my mind up about going into journalism. My experiences at the Boar, RaW and WTV allowed me the freedom to see what I enjoyed doing – and whether I was any good at it!

Boar TV: As a final question, what are your hopes or plans for the future?

Joshua Murray: I finish the NCTJ course in January, so I am not sure what will happen after that! Hopefully I can get involved in sports journalism somehow, whether at a newspaper or through broadcast. The Rugby World Cup is coming up next September, so it would be amazing if I could be covering that in some way!