Image: Sian Elvin

Health Centre concerned about students missing appointments

The Health Centre have reported that the number of missed appointments has had a serious impact on services provided and urged students to notify staff prior to an absence.

The number of missed appointments in first week of November alone has amounted to 15 hours and 40 minutes of clinician time wasted.

Nurse’s appointments and general practitioners’ (GP) appointments averaged roughly the same amount of non-attendances, with 37 GP appointments missed and 38 nurse appointments unattended.

Unnoted absences have resulted in serious delays in the treatment of other patients. As a result, the Health Centre have urged students to notify staff if they are unable to attend their appointment.

Carol Foskett, receptionist at the Health Centre, said: “It’s a shame that those hours are wasted. By cancelling appointments, those hours could be given to other students.’’

Linda Mizen, practice manager at the Health Centre, said: “By not confirming their absences, students are inflicting enormous costs to the practice and other patients.’’

The Health Centre have also urged students to take note of the reminders sent by text and email after students have booked an appointment.

“We text people to remind them that they have appointments and it just seems that they don’t take action on it,’’ commented receptionist Ann Forrest.

Ms Mizen said: “Patient care is always at the top of our agenda. That‘s why we are doing everything we can to make our service match with people’s lifestyles and the technology they use.

“We hope the students will do their bit too by making sure they attend or cancel appointments in good time. That way, everybody benefits.”

Some students have responded saying that the times offered by the Health Centre for appointments are inappropriately early and lack flexibility.

This has particularly affected students coming into campus by bus or other means of transport, delayed by continued roadworks and unreliable buses.

A student said: “I have often been told that the only appointments available are those early in the morning.

‘’Not living on campus makes it difficult to be reliable, as you have a number of external factors to take into account. It is outside my control whether buses come in time.’’

Phillipa Lewis, fourth-year Classics student, also said: “I feel that some of the Health Centres policies are too strict. I understand the need for them but we are after all students. For alot of people it’s their first time away from home. Being responsible can be quite difficult for them at first.”

Ed Watson, second-year History student, said: “Other students should know that if they don’t cancel appointments, they leave others waiting.”

Sofia Voudouroglou, first-year Classical Civilisation student, was more sympathetic to students who missed their appointments: “It seems inconsiderate for students to miss appointments. However, some things may just slip their mind.”

Students have been reminded to text the number 07797 805347 or contact www.uwhc.org.uk to cancel their appointments prior to not attending.