Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick misses out on top ten place in student experience survey

Warwick University has failed to make the top 10 for overall student experience in the recent Times Higher Student Experience survey.

The University of Sheffield was voted as the best university for student life experience. The top 10 which included universities such as the University of Bath, Dundee, Leeds, Exeter and Nottingham.

Warwick was placed twenty-sixth in the rankings, behind the Universities of Manchester and Birmingham.

The Times Higher Education Magazine has carried out the survey for the past nine years, in which undergraduates from across the UK were asked about 21 aspects of university life.

More than 14,000 students were asked to rate the quality of teaching, social life and accommodation.

When asked about the recent survey, Professor Nigel Thrift, Warwick University’s vice-chancellor, remarked: “My view is that I’m very, very proud of the teaching at this University. We have some of the best academics in the world, really the best.”

But Mr Thrift admits to being “frustrated” with regards to the survey. He commented: “I do get certain frustration because we have been strongly improving our student facilities (like our grids).

“When I talk to students on an individual level, they actually on the whole are satisfied with just a few exceptions. Some students obviously get interactions which they are not satisfied with and there are all kinds of ways that we can work with that.”

John Gill, editor of The Times survey, said: “Universities are spending ever more time and money trying to get the ‘student experience’ right, as they face up to competition for students not just locally and nationally, but also internationally.”

Richard Blundell, a first-year History student at Warwick, was surprised by the survey: “I think the University offers a great, full-rounded experience for students.

“Although the University may not have the most options for going out, it makes up for it in other areas like its academic side and sports facilities. At the end of the day, you get back what you put in.”

Rosina Findlay, a first-year English and Film Studies student, shared a similar view. She told the Boar: “Relatively, I think if you don’t make the effort to go out, join societies and throw yourself into University life then it won’t be as enjoyable, but obviously that’s the case anywhere.

“Despite the stigma about the university’s student experience, I find there’s plenty to do both at night and during the days.”

Further information on the Times Higher Education Survey can be found here: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/times-higher-education-student-experience-survey-2014/2013333.article