Photo: Ann Yip

SU rejects Game of Thrones motion

A ‘Game of Warwick SU’ Students’ Union (SU) motion based on the TV series Game of Thrones has been completely removed from the SU’s agenda after it was brought forward by Aaron Bowater on Thursday 8 May.

The motion to alter the title of SU president to Khal or Khaleesi was initially passed through the Student Composite Committee on May 8. The SU Board of Trustees later unanimously voted to abandon the motion.

The motion was first raised by Mr Bowater, Politics and International Studies postgraduate and two-year presidential election candidate, in Term 1 when it was rejected by the Composite Committee. It was also proposed in his presidential campaign this year.

After the development of an extensive legal case which complied with all of the Unions’ regulations and sufficiently answered all questions posed by the Composite Committee, the motion finally proceeded to the Board of Trustees.

The motion was rejected by the Trustees in a Motion Impact Assessment which focused on the subjective interests of the SU.

“These motions will always exist as long as Game of Thrones continues!”
– Aaron Bowater

Ben Sundell, SU president and chair of the Board of Trustees, explained: “This motion could not proceed because of the high risk this could have on our organisation’s ability to represent our students to the best of our ability.

“The Trustees are our highest governing body and exist to ensure the long term sustainability and strategic direction of the Union.”

Mr Sundell defended the Trustees’ decision, adding: “In this highly rare instance for the Trustees to withdraw a motion, it was made in the best interests of the whole student body and was the right course of action.”

Mr Bowater has been left disappointed and frustrated by the decision.

He remarked that: “After it was thrown out the first time, we made sure to answer all the legal and reputation concerns. We didn’t give any reason to not pass it. We didn’t give the Composite Committee a choice.

“Unfortunately, the trustees decided [that they] didn’t want it and had to shut it down before it became more publicised on campus and got to the student vote.”

When asked what motivated him to pursue the motion, Mr Bowater replied: “A flash of drunken inspiration and passion for Game of Thrones.”

He also cited York University as encouragement which in 2008 elected a pirate, known commonly as ‘Mad Cap’n Tom’, as their President.

Mr Bowater explained that although he was far from confident, had the motion gone to the student vote, he believed that “we might have just pipped it”.

As for the future, he confessed that he probably would not be posing anymore motions: “I feel this has taken it out of me. I feel rather like Jamie Lannister (his favourite character) after he had his hand cut off. I just want to go home…”

Nonetheless, he admitted to feeling optimistic for the future of the ‘Union underdogs’: “I believe there is a band of passionate young students who will have plenty of exciting ideas and plans to offer.”

Mr Bowater concluded by hinting towards potential motions that were being mulled over by disgruntled Game of Thrones fans: “There’s been financial talk to get an ‘Iron Throne’ on the Terrace Bar balcony… These motions will always exist as long as Game of Thrones continues!”

Further information on the Board of Trustee’s decision can be located in their Motion Impact Assessment