Photo: University of Warwick

SU president campaigns against disabled budget cuts

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) President Ben Sundell is campaigning against the announced budget cuts to the Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA).

David Willets, minister for universities and science, announced a series of budget cuts on 7 April 2014. The cuts included reduced provisions for the DSA grant, a non-repayable grant that assists disabled students with additional costs they may face in higher education.

Minister Willets explained that universities should assume the majority of the financial responsibility for disabled students instead of the government: “We expect [higher education institutions] to introduce changes which can further reduce reliance on DSAs and help mainstream support.”

He also declared that the grant scheme would be modernised in accordance with the Equality Impact Assessment.

One of the key changes to the scheme dictate that the government will no longer fund additional costs of specialist accommodation and that the government will fund only the most specialist non-medical help.

Ben Sundell responded to Willets; policy statement:

“I think it is absolutely disgraceful that the government is trying to cut a service for those who depend on this support.”

“We are lucky that at Warwick, we have a really good academic office who will look to mitigate this cut themselves.

“The likelihood is that any institution like Warwick who will try and absorb this cost themselves will have to do so by taking money from their access budget – meaning less money is available for outreach activities.”

Sam Fry, SU disabled student officer said: “I think it is very important that disabled students are supported and that reasonable adjustments are made.

“In principle I have no issue with transferring the cost of this onto universities. I am, however, concerned that not all universities will fulfill their responsibilities on this and that many disabled students will lose out.”

Jenny Wheeler, next year’s disabled student officer added: “I could not manage without the DSA. Without that financial support, I would not still be at this university fighting for the chance to complete my degree.

“I think the cuts will mean that disabled and dyslexic students are not able to reach their full potential at university which will lead to lower degree classifications for these students and therefore harder job prospects in a world where it is already hard to get your foot in the door.”