Photo: Flickr / Peter Gerdes

Warwick graduates create new social media platform

A group of Warwick graduates have come together to create a new social media platform that aims to provide an efficient space for social action.

The graduates think that social projects are hindered by the number of webpages available about certain issues. They aim to help journalists, fundraisers and academics with gaining quick access to defining their issue and the best way they can reach their target audience.

At Humanity Online there will be one pager per issue and location. On each page, visitors will be able to contribute to identifying what the issue is and in getting involved with implementing initiatives that interest them.

At Warwick University the graduates organised and participated in workshops focusing on social action. These workshops gave birth to some of the key features of their website.

They will be launching their ‘If We Work Together’ campaign, where they will be asking people to produce art, articles or videos that explore what we might achieve as a society if we work together.

Through social media such as Facebook, Google+ or Twitter using the hashtag #HumanityOnline, they hope to generate a discussion about their project.

Managing director Sholi Loewenthal said: “In order for us to make this project successful we need to complete a working prototype and for that we need funds. Anyone can help, either by contributing a little to the crowd-funder or by getting involved with the conversation about what we can achieve if we all work together.

Ultimately, Humanity Online is going to be a story about how people work together rather than just the technology that facilitates it, and everyone has an opinion about that.”

Lorayn Brown, a first-year English Literature and Creative Writing student, commented: “If successful, I think the project could be very useful in campaigning and ensuring objections.

Personally, I am slightly cynical as to how useful it will be in instigating discussion with companies that don’t already place high value on public participation since the usage of such a website will be voluntary.”

To get involved with the project, visit humanityonline.org or email emlyn@humanityonline.org.