Coventry and Warwick pupils on this year's project. Photo; Nuneaton News

Student Progression Project off to a flying start

Students from Warwick and Coventry universities are working in partnership to promote higher education in local schools.

The project aims to inspire young people from varied socio-economic backgrounds to consider higher education.

After a thorough selection process, ambassadors are provided with essential training before being assigned to local schools in Leamington or Coventry.

The placement lasts for a period of eight weeks in which the ambassadors tell school pupils about the benefits of higher education.

The ambassadors act as mentors for the children and run sessions that focus on study skills, goal setting and campus visits.

Daniel Cope, a second-year English Literature student, involved with the project said: “It is really great, because the young people look up to you as a role model as you are not much older than them. It is fantastic unlocking young people’s aspirations for the future.”

The ambassadors have found the scheme immensely rewarding.

Thomas Proudfoot, a second-year Politics student said: “When you’re a new undergraduate, I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a scheme more challenging and rewarding than being thrown in to a class of rowdy year nine or ten students, on your own and encouraging them to engage seriously with planning their futures.

The project has a significant impact on us mentors too, offering a unique character building exercise that installs confidence and unique skills that is working with and engaging young people.”

After the sessions, 80 percent of pupils who had attended the sessions said they have a better idea of what they wanted to do in the future. Many of the pupils also felt that had a better understanding of student finance.

Warwick has recently revised its national scholarship program to allow for more support for disadvantaged pupils.