Photo: Warwick SU

Warwick SU holds second Campaigns Convention

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) held its second Campaigns Convention on 15 January 2014.

The convention runs once a term and aims to provide social training, contacts and motivation for students who are interested in campaigning.

Two students were elected to be the representatives for the Student Council for this term and social training was provided for the attendees.

At the convention this term, two representatives came from People & Planet and The Sheila McKechnie Foundation.
James Farndin, a representative from People & Planet, led a break out session on a basic step-by-step plan for successful campaigns.

People & Planet focuses on environmental and social issues. This year its new campaign ‘Fossil Free UK’ aims to stop the fossil fuel industry from causing catastrophic climate change.

People & Planet are particularly encouraging universities to break links with fossil fuel industries, as they believe universities have a moral duty to support a clean energy future.

Harmit Kambo, learning and development manager for the Sheila McKechnie Foundation delivered the foundation’s session, ‘Winning Hearts and Minds’.

The session emphasised the need for campaigns to understand their targets’ core values and their world view, instead of trying to emotionally manipulate the public and policy makers.

Cat Turhan, Warwick SU welfare and campaigns officer, commented on the event.

“[The] Campaigns Convention is an incredibly important event, not only for experienced student activists, but for anyone interested in campaigning.

“We were very lucky with the calibre of speakers this time, and it was exciting to see students engaged with people who have so many valuable skills to teach them.”

Miguel Costa Matos, a second-year Philosophy, Politics and Economics undergraduate, said: “The Campaigns Convention is a great way to bring together campaigners and share experiences so that we can achieve more successful outcomes.

“The SU and Cat have a done great job of organising this, and more people should come.”