Credit: Euro-Realist Newsletter

What really lies ahead for UKIP?

As we enter a new year, it seems that the growing scepticism surrounding Brussels, a flailing trilateral party system and the ever-present urge for “something different” all point to the elevation of a party which, domestically, has traditionally sat in the stands with Griffin’s BNP. The UK Independence Party (UKIP) constitutionally outlines itself as the ‘democratic, libertarian party’, but in reality it has been comprehensively recognised as a provider of Eurosceptic right-wing populism. The question I want to raise is “Can UKIP, the “party of the protest vote”, end the reign of a three-party Britain?”

I have enormous respect for a party which aims to tackle and talk about issues which previous generations have chosen to sweep under the carpet. Nigel Farage certainly speaks to a huge section of the country who desire a Britain which is free from the red tape of Brussels, but do UKIP really have the discipline to become a serious political contender to Cameron, Clegg and Miliband?

Godfrey Bloom is a prime example of why we cannot take UKIP 100 percent seriously as things stand. His notorious “bongo bongo land” speech and other controversial outbursts suggest that UKIP are too behaviourally volatile to have a chance of making an impact in the 2015 election.

However, with Cameron promising a post-election referendum on Europe should the Tories be in government and vowing to take a more stringent approach over immigration, he is certainly facing a resilient encounter in this area as UKIP’s popularity escalates. UKIP receive abundant support on a European level, standing as Britain’s second party in EU parliament with thirteen seats, yet it is at home where they must look forward.

It is vital that Farage’s party continue to push hard on their anti-establishment theme and it certainly seems that such a tempting message may fit with mounting British scepticism. Perhaps in the past they have been too closely linked with the BNP, however by labelling themselves “Britain’s libertarian, non-racist party”, their attempts to rid this label are evident. Now there appears to be a perception growing that UKIP will become a replacement vote for disgruntled Tory voters.

Many see Cameron as a leader of broken promises who is half to blame for voters on the right looking for alternatives, but I’m wary of accepting this so hastily. UKIP may appeal to the tide of frustration in Britain, but the first-past-the-post domestic electoral system demonstrates why they have only broken through – and may only ever break through – in Europe.

• “His notorious “bongo bongo land” speech and other controversial outbursts suggest that UKIP are too behaviourally volatile to have a chance of making an impact in the 2015 election.”

Can you come up with any – even anecdotal – evidence that this is so? See, UKIP’s membership and support in polling over the last 12 months has surged since these alleged ‘gaffes’. I’m sure we’d all be interested to see you attempt to explain this inconvenient fact away.

• every party members lib.lab.con and ukip say or do something dogy at 1 point or another but it seems ukip get attacked every time they sneeze ive read some articles that just suggest they are trying to make people not vote ukip i smell something very very fishy lib.lab.con do something dogy lots of times but its not broadcast i feel the politcal elite and media are corrupt to the core and i smell bad bad propaganda of course constructive criticism is needed in politics but i hat smear attempts and propaganda is not welcomed in politics but the fact is the elite in society is pro Europe pro immigration bad news about these subjects is overlooked and played down fact of the matter we have been living in a propaganda country for years