It will be the first ITFR conference in the UK since 1998. Photo: Flickr / Alan Cleaver

International Federation for Theatre Research hits campus

From July 27 to August 1 this year the School of Theatre Performance and Cultural Policy Studies, University of Warwick will play host to the International Federation for Theatre Research (IFTR) World Congress.

The IFTR was established in 1957 and today holds the title of the largest international body of theatre scholars and practitioners in the world.

It works to promote the study of theatre and performance through publications, encouraging new scholars and sponsoring initiatives across the world.

Significantly this is the first IFTR conference to be held in the UK since 1998, when it took place at the University of Kent.

The conference will be centred on the theme of ‘Theatre and Stratification’. Over the week there will be over 650 talks, a variety of performances and a mixture of social events which will present the cultural wealth of the Warwickshire region.

It will include distinguished speakers and internationally-renowned artists as well as established and upcoming experts in different areas of the performing arts.

Those involved will divide their time between sharing their work with others, exploring the surrounding area and experiencing British culture.

The week aspires to bring many exciting events which will take place both on- and off-campus. It will open with a show by ‘Motionhouse’, the internationally-acclaimed dance theatre company based in Leamington and whose artistic director, Kevin Finnan MBE, is to receive an honorary doctor of letters from the University in the 2014 winter degree ceremonies.

Lighting up campus will be a range of cutting-edge pieces being staged in the Studio Theatre or the Helen Martin Studio in Warwick Arts Centre as well as various outside spaces.

Additionally there are plans to hold an ‘Open Mic’ programme for delegates and local artists, a theatrical ephemera and a second-hand book sale. A predictably popular event will be the ‘Stage on Screen’ film festival which will be shown in the Arts Centre cinema.

So that those involved can experience the history and culture of the Midlands, a rich and diverse social programme will be on offer making use of attractions close at hand such as the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford, historic castles in Kenilworth and Warwick and the vibrant city of Birmingham.