The Sydney Opera House is one of many stunning sights in Australia (photo: flickr/8lettersuk)

How to visit Sydney and not be declared bankrupt

Having lived in Australia for nine months of this year, I would happily accept the argument ucityguides.com gives that it is the fourth most beautiful country in the world. Beautiful beaches, gorgeous rainforests, stunning deserts and, of course, lively cities like Sydney are just part of what makes Australia great. However, tainting this glorious image I have put before you is the fact that, according to the Telegraph, Sydney is the world’s sixth most expensive city. Having made it my home for most of 2013, I can safely say that every city in the UK, including London, is far less expensive. However, as a self-proclaimed Sydneysider, I can share the tips and tricks to enjoying Sydney without breaking the bank.

If you didn’t already know, the return flight from London to Sydney costs around £1,000, so you won’t want to spend unnecessary dollars on things like trains and buses. Everything in the CBD is within walking distance, but you are going to want to catch the ferry to Manly, the bus to Bondi and the train to the Blue Mountains. Pick up a ‘my multi ticket (zone three)’ as soon as you get to the city, this costs around $60. It may sound expensive, but it lets you go as far as the Blue Mountains, and works for every mode of transport. It also lasts a whole week, so if you take advantage of it, it can save you a lot of money.

Now you’ve got your ticket, where do you go with it? The Opera House and Harbour Bridge are the iconic images of Sydney tourism, but I wouldn’t bother going to the Opera House itself unless you want to pay $10 for a Corona at Opera bar. Instead, get an early afternoon ferry to Manly from the Rocks and you will get that iconic view of the Bridge and the Opera House at the same time. Manly is a great little suburb, with beaches, nature reserves, shopping and plenty of nightlife.

Now you are going to want to go to Bondi Beach, which is filled with lovely cafes and bars, and there is usually some sort of festival there. However, if you are feeling energetic, do the Bondi to Coogee beach walk along the cliff faces; it is a stunning walk and along the way you come across the much nicer beaches such as Bronte and Tamarama, where the locals go (so there are plenty of bronzed Aussies in speedos). It takes a good two hours, so best to set off in the morning.

If you need a break from beaches, Sydney houses some fascinating museums and art galleries, my favourite being the ‘Art Gallery NSW’, which, refreshingly, is free to visit. I will quickly mention the Blue Mountains: It is actually worth booking a tour around the Mountains because it is all so spread out (this usually costs about $60). Your whole day will be surrounded by a blue haze created by the forests of Eucalyptus trees in the valleys, which makes everything feel very ethereal.

By now you’ll probably be very tired (especially if you’re still jetlagged), so I’ll quickly touch on the two types of hostel you can stay at. For $36 a night, you can go for the big party hostel, such as Wake Up! Sydney. You’ll be sleeping in a ten-person dorm, so don’t worry about not making friends on your holiday. Wake Up has a huge itinerary of activities for guests, as well as its own bar, Side Bar, which tends to pack out due to the really cheap drinks. The other type of hostel is the more homey type, which I went for seeing as I was staying there for a month. Casa Central Accommodation is a cosy hostel with a big kitchen, living room, free Wi-Fi and free washing. ‘Casa’ costs $30 per night for its largest dorms which have beds for four people.

Finally we get onto the most important section, food and drink. Aussies love drinking in the day and watching sport, so join the locals at The Three Wise Monkeys and have a few schooners (Smaller Australian version of a pint) of Tooheys Beer.

Clubbing in the city is varied. If you want to save money, stay on George Street where there are cheap clubs like Scubar and Bar Century, which, with $2 drinks on offer, are full of backpackers. The best nights out, however, are in Kings Cross, the party district. They have everything, from the urban beats of Soho Club to the multi-levelled amazingness of World Bar to the sophistication of Goldfish. Prices vary around ‘the Cross’, but you will probably not find a drink for cheaper than $5.

When you get up, trust me, you will be craving a greasy breakfast, which you can get for the price of $4 at Aero Café and Bar on George Street. Chinatown is a prominent part of the city, which you will inevitably wind up in, but don’t be sucked in by the hawkers on the street, head straight to Dixon House Food Court, which has awesome, cheap Asian cuisine. For a nice dinner I would recommend pretty much all the restaurants in Darling Harbour, which can be pricey, but look out for the meal deals which usually include a main, drink and coffee.

I would like to conclude with a line I found in the Sydney Morning Herald, “Can you visit the Emerald City without the cost going up and over? – Too right, mate.” If you manage to avoid breaking the bank, you will agree that you have found the best place on earth.