December 2013 Film Preview

Kill Your Darlings

kill-your-darlings-daniel-radcliffe-dane-dehaan-slice

There is only one group that lends itself to a succinct dramatic exploration of sexuality, culture, materialism and drug use without it seeming forced or cluttered: the Beat Generation. And now, a pivotal time in their lives is being given the motion picture treatment, with the film following Ginsberg, Carr, Kerouac and Burroughs when they first meet at Columbia University. Daniel Radcliffe and Dane DeHaan head the bill, shaking off the expectations of their own careers in what Sundance reviews promise to be an excellent 104 minutes of cinema.

Ibtisam Ahmed

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Anchorman-2-Cast-1023-Dragonlord

By the beard of Zeus, it’s an Anchorman sequel! Arriving 9-years after its cult predecessor decimated ribcages worldwide, Ron Burgundy and the iconic Channel Four news team are back to do it all again with Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. Expectations are incredibly high, but the improved filmmaking prowess of director Adam McKay (his last feature, 2010’s The Other Guys was easily his most polished to date) and a bevy of enthusiastically constructed and absurdly funny promotional materials lead me to suspect Will Ferrell has no intention of disappointing with this sophomore outing for his most enduring creation.

Daniel Kelly

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-slice

The next installation of The Hobbit continues the adventures of the unassuming Bilbo Baggins, now in possession of the ring that unbeknownst to him will be causing a great deal of trouble in sixty years time. In tow with Gandalf the Grey and the thirteen dwarves, Bilbo continues his travels to the Lonely Mountain, where he must face a danger more terrifying and sinister than any other – the dragon Smaug. The Hobbit may continue to lack the scale of a certain other Middle Earth-based trilogy, but with the confident hands of Peter Jackson at the reins and the promise of a climactic final encounter, you’d be a fool of a Took not to be excited.

Joe Baker

Powder Room

Powder Room

If you’ve ever wanted to see a feisty British Brides- maids along with Kate Nash (remember her?) and Char- lie Chaplin’s granddaughter, Powder Room may be your Christmas pick. Described as a ‘sexed up’ and ‘messed up’ look into one eventful night, entirely set in the ladies’ toilet of a nightclub, the film follows Sam’s reunion with an old college friend, Michelle, which sparks envy and a spiral of saucy lies when she realises Michelle is living the glamorous life Sam has always wanted. Expect outrageous gossip, R-rated conversations and seriously fierce females.

Jess Wilson

American Hustle

american-hustle-cast-slice

It’s safe to say that American Hustle has got a lot going for it. David O. Russell, who is on a bit of a hot streak lately having received Best Director nominations for his previous two films The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook is at the helm. Perhaps realising that he’s doing something right, O. Russell has collected an amalgamation of the cast from his last two efforts, headlined by Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper. This crime drama is based on the FBI ABSCAM operation from the late 1970s and looks set to be one of the most entertaining, riveting and eccentric films of 2013.

Matthew Kent

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

secret-life-of-walter-mitty-poster-slice

Ever found yourself lost in a daydream? Walter Mitty has, and constantly does, in Ben Stiller’s (working as actor/director) remake of the classic James Thurber tale. As a way of coping with his dull existence, Walter escapes into worlds of fleeting fantasy, where he can become a romantic hero able to overcome any obstacle. When an event at work forces him to embark on a real adventure, Walter begins to experience life in a way he could’ve never imagined. Stiller’s film looks set to stun with beautiful imagery and an off-beat quirky tone perfect for the holiday season.

Andrew Gaudion

(Header Image Source, Other Images: Collider.com)