Photo: Flickr, Antonio Ponte

Erasmus scheme reaches record high

The number of British university students participating in the EU’s Erasmus scheme reached a record high in 2012/2013, with more than 14,500 spending a year abroad.

The University has similarly seen an increase in the number of students participating in the scheme.

In 2012/2013, the number of outgoing students stood at 367, an increase from the 342 students who studied abroad in 2010/2011. Likewise, the number of incoming European students has risen from 290 in 2010/2011 to 345 in 2012/2013.

The numbers for 2013/14 have not been confirmed yet, but a further slight increase has been predicted.

Warwick’s keen involvement in the programme has proved beneficial for the students as well as the University and its reputation as being ‘globally connected’.

Anna Blackaby, the University’s international press officer, remarked: “[as a] globally connected university, we recognise that schemes like Erasmus play a vital role in giving students an internationally-focused educational experience.”

Foreign study, which is both linguistically and culturally enhancing,  boosts job prospects for students, according to the British Council.

Ms Blackaby, similarly, commented that it was “attractive for future employers”.

The arrival of European students as part of the scheme has strengthened the University’s cultural vibe.

Chris Davis, a first-year History undergraduate, remarked that it was “enriching for us as students to be exposed to so many different cultures.”

Martina Di Meo, a third-year Foreign Languages student from Italy, regarded the connections to people from different cultures as a valuable part of her Erasmus experience.

She underlined the scheme’s current importance: “I think young people need to travel. Especially with the crisis you can’t just stay in your country. Travelling and gaining experience abroad helps you to find a job.”

Warwick University is cooperating with more than 150 institutions in 25 countries. The new Erasmus+ contract for 2014-2021, which will cover the current Erasmus scheme as well as Erasmus mundus and other cooperation programmes with non-EU countries, is under development.

While the UK is still behind other European countries like Spain, Germany and France with regards to the number of outgoing Erasmus students, Warwick has been among the most active UK universities for previous years.