Editor’s Pick: Summer Cinema 2013

Man of Steel – 14th June

If you are reading this and haven’t seen the recently released reincarnation of Superman get yourself over to a cinema this instant. The Christopher Nolan produced, Zach Snyder directed adaptation of the beloved American superhero will hit you straight in your emotional epicentre. Check out our review here.

man-of-steel-henry-cavill

This Is The End – 28th June

The one that isn’t Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Bilbo Baggins and their brand of British humour surviving an alien invasion after an epic pub crawl, bringing an end to Edgar Wright’s classic Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy.

this-is-the-end

Much Ado About Nothing – 28th June

Having been branded with cult fame, the man who gave the world The Avengers, Joss Whedon, brings Shakespeare’s comedic play to the screen with plenty of familiar faces and a plethora of charm and wit. Coming Soon to the Warwick Arts Centre.

Much-Ado-About-Nothing

The Bling Ring – 5th July

You may say you’re going to see this in hope of witnessing Sofia Coppola’s perceptive critique of Hollywood materialism and cautionary allegory concerning teen amorality in the era of Facebook narcissism. But what you’re really thinking is: ‘I wonder what Emma Watson been up to since the end of Harry Potter?’ Answer: playing a badass thief.

emma-watson-the-bling-ring-slice

Monsters University – 12th July

You can have your funny little minions Despicable Me 2, but I’ll take Mike and Sully any day. Don’t be surprised if you sit their empathetically nodding along to every familiar nook and cranny of their university life – because if it’s like any other Pixar film, it’ll make you laugh, it’ll make you cry and most of all leave you with a smile.

Monsters-University

Pacific Rim – 12th July

Critically acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro sets out to correct what Transformers did wrong in this enormous scale blockbuster about giant robots battling giant monsters (the infamous ‘Kaiju’). Be prepared to blown back into the corner of seats, this one will be a visual feast.

Pacific-Rim

The World’s End – 19th July

The one that isn’t James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and their hilarious American posse surviving a global apocalypse and learning the true meaning of friendship, while the aforementioned badass Emma Watson comes and steals their things.

The-Worlds-End

The Wolverine – 26th July

After an entertaining cameo in X-Men: First Class, which utilised the one f-word constraint of 12A rated films ingeniously, Hugh Jackman returns with katana wielding samurai in current day Japan.

the-wolverine

Only God Forgives – 2nd August

Fresh off the shores of Cannes, Nicholas Winding Refn comes to deliver us from the monotony of Hollywood with a brutal revenge film set in bloody underbelly of Bangkok, Thailand. Imagine an ever more stylistic version of Drive, with less driving, more fighting and an equal amount of Ryan Gosling brooding in silence.

only-god-forgives-slice

Kick-Ass 2 – 16th August

It seems foul-mouthed teenagers in superhero outfits can never go out of fashion. This time, the crime-fighting duo Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl team up with a hysterically bizarre looking Jim Carrey (and his dog!) against Red Mist, renamed The Mother Fucker, who’s seeking out revenge for the death of his father.

kick-ass-2-jim-carrey-aaron-johnson

The Way, Way Back – 28th August

Coming of age comedies don’t come any sweeter than this. After their success on The Descendants, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash (The Dean from Community) present their new film about an introverted teenager who makes friends with the manager at a waterpark played by the always-lovable Sam Rockwell. Very much in the vein of Little Miss Sunshine, it sounds like a surprising delight for any film lover.

the-way-way-back

Pain and Gain – 30th August

The sheer size of Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson’s biceps should be a clear indicator for the off-the-charts testosterone levels in Michael Bay’s new film. One can dismiss his relentless use of hot girls and blowing things up, but at least this time it’s for an older audience.

Pain-and-Gain

(Header Image Source, Other Images Source: Collider.com)