Man of Steel

Director: Zach Snyder
Cast: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon
Length: 143 minutes
Country: USA

It is time I make a confession. I am, or at least, I was a Superman virgin. The appeal of a practically-invincible alien who can fire beams of solar energy out of his eyes and fly is, to my mind, not as appealing as the concept of self-made human heroes such as Batman. Marvel and DC comics’ fondness for putting the hero origin story on the big screen translates better when they explore the struggles of an ordinary man or woman against extraordinary odds. Superman, the hero and alien from Krypton, turns the origin story in the polar opposite direction.

It shouldn’t work, and indeed it hasn’t in the past, although 2006’s Superman Returns did receive a positive reception, Brandon Routh’s turn as the titular hero ultimately, did not spawn any sequels. However, with Man of Steel, Henry Cavill’s Superman is already set to have a sequel. You can see why from the outset. The special effects team bare no expense by opening with hugely intricate vistas of Krypton to satiate the palate of cinemagoers looking for spectacle. The sacrifice Superman’s (or rather ‘Kal El’) parents make by jettisoning the infant hero to earth to safety and away from the dying Krypton is unusually long for a prologue and thus feels like one of the weaker parts of the film. The antagonist, General Zod, is played here with pantomime villainy by Michael Shannon. Zod’s frustration at his people’s passivity and growing sadism only comes into its own later in the film but in the prologue his impact is lessened, due to the need to get through so much exposition.

It is only when the action begins on earth that the story really begins to find its grounding and tone. Cavill’s Superman is forced to be an outcast on earth, flitting between jobs whilst maintaining his secret identity. He cannot but help to save others that are in grave peril, sequences such as the burning oil rig and the bus submerged in a lake, successfully demonstrate the young Superman’s predicament. Does he remain hidden in the shadows, whilst earth isn’t quite ready to accept him into society or does he perform the life-saving acts that he was always destined to do? The sombre grey filter and nostalgic use of flashbacks, interspersed throughout the present day narrative, create a gritty sense of reality that is a stark, but welcome, contrast to the former fantastical environment of Krypton.

The special effects team bare no expense by opening with hugely intricate vistas of Krypton to satiate the palate of cinemagoers looking for spectacle

The famous relationship between Superman and Lois Lane was a particular highlight. Henry Cavill and Amy Adams have a very watchable chemistry. It is just a shame that the screen time they have together is limited. The scenes that they do share however are some of the films best. Lane’s first appearance instantly makes her likeable. However, the quip that the men she is surrounded by are full of masculine bravado and egocentrism feels forced. Lois’ plucky journalism and unremitting sense of curiosity alone are enough to prove that she resists the passive stereotype of femininity. A stereotype that is constructed in many superhero films. The obviousness of this signposting feels clumsy. Nevertheless, the pair engender an instant trust when Superman’s own extra-terrestrial abilities save Lois from a fatal wound. Thankfully, their relationship isn’t played solely for romantic purposes and that may be what contributes to what makes their bond refreshing. The audience I was watching with, found when Lois lightly jests that Superman’s famous insignia stands for a mere ‘S’ on Earth, not hope as it does on Krypton, to be a laugh-out-loud moment. Their foundations and chemistry have been established well but should Man of Steel grace our screens with a sequel then an even greater attention toward their relationship would be welcome.

The films climax is, as expected, driven by extended action sequences. Such sequences are so frenetic you’d be forgiven for thinking you were watching a Michael Bay movie. However, if you can get past the whirlwind violence then the latter half of the film is exceptionally entertaining. The audience begins to feel the film creep towards a climax when a very creepy ‘You are not alone’ message from General Zod arises, echoing some of the most classic alien-invasion films. The crackling static with the disembodied voice of Zod calling out to a fearful planet Earth contributes to an excellent sequence which accelerates the tension. Shannon’s Zod becomes much more of an interesting villain in the sense that audiences are allowed to briefly glimpse the tragedy of his hopeful but ultimately blinkered vision in trying to revive Krypton.  The action sequences can be quite bloated and the final fight goes on for just one smash of a building too long, but this remake is ultimately a success by the time the credits role

Within the limited parameters of its own origins, Man of Steel provides a thoroughly entertaining action-driven fantasy affair. If the idea of an undefeatable alien flying around in spandex is not your thing, Steel will not covert you. Be that as it may, I found this to be brilliant escapist fun and would welcome more of Cavill in the role. Nevertheless, for me the caped crusader Batman still trumps Superman, some things never change.

(Header Image Source)