TV’s Greatest Couples

The all-consuming furor of Valentine’s day drove the TV Team to pick out some of their favourite on-screen relationships

**Ross and Rachel, Friends**
The TV couple of this century (and last): a gorgeous fashion designer and a geeky palaeontologist. The will-they-won’t-they stuff had us wringing our hands, sighing and giggling for ten years. It’s the happy ending that took too long to come true – a 90s style One Day with less death and destruction. In a way, it brings love down to earth: what happens to a couple when life gets in the way? Careers, marriage, communication misunderstandings and unexpected children all add to the hilarity of the Ross-and-Rachel saga. Despite being complete and utter opposites, they somehow made it work in the end. Go figure. **Natasha Clark**

**Seth and Summer, The O.C.**
Ryan and Marissa may be more iconic or all-together more “fairytale” but it was “Sethummer” that really stole our hearts over The OC’s four sun-kissed seasons. Comic-book-loving Death Cab fan meets cossetted but caring social butterfly and in doing so gives (potentially false) hope to indie geeks everywhere. Thank you Rachel Bilson. **Sam Steiner**

**Cameron and Mitchel, Modern Family**
They are adorable! Where one of them has a weakness the other has a strength. They are fully aware of each of their own shortcomings and provide support: “It’s like I’m the gas and you’re the brakes. In this analogy we’re a car.” **Lucie Blockley**

**Carrie and Mr. Big, Sex and the City**
Carrie and Big have a kind of eternal romance rarely seen in TV programmes. Big is the ultimate flawed man, gracefully juggling almost every characteristic of the man you shouldn’t date. Yet there is something endearing about the early episodes’ nod to fairytale romance that clashes with real, gritty and painfully regular crevices in their relationship. You just can’t help it if you’re in love with a man who takes 94 episodes to realise you’re the one.** Rebecca Myers**

**Homer and Marge, The Simpsons**
The King and Queen of animated monogamy, Homer and Marge’s 24-season love affair has stood the test of time. From Homer’s middle-American drunkard buffoonery, to Marge’s level-headed, measured matriarchy, this cartoon couple make the (im)perfect pair and the shining example of the modern day nuclear family. Not even Artie Ziff, with all his billions of dollars, could break them apart. **Ramsey Marwan**

**Honorable Mentions**
Jim and Pam, The Office
Josh and Donna, The West Wing
Stewie and Brian, Family Guy
Carrie and Brody, Homeland