Warwick and CPD in £13.5 mill project

**Warwick will be collaborating with Western Power Distribution (WPD) in a new £13.5 million project.**

The funding, from energy regulator Ofgem’s Low Carbon Network Fund, will be used to revolutionise the power network in Birmingham.

WPD has been tasked with examining what is required to provide a secure electricity supply at good value for money as the UK moves to a low carbon economy.

Flexgrid, the project that won WPD the funding, involves collaboration with Birmingham City Council, global consulting firm Parsons Brinckerhoff, Cofely, who operate the district heating networks in the city, as well as Warwick.

The collaboration with WPD is set to benefit students and staff alike. Anna Blackaby, the Faculty of Science’s press officer, said: “The Western Power project will provide good opportunities for learning for students.

“It will allow us to set up group or individual projects for students to address some of the pressing technical and social issues to enable the provision of energy in more efficient, cost effective and environmentally friendly ways from the customer end.”

The actualisation of Flexgrid entails installing new types of equipment at ten substations across Birmingham city centre in an effort to strengthen the existing electricity network, as well as developing an advanced computer control system.

By allowing the additional generation to connect into the city’s grid, the project also supports the further development of the city’s heat networks – where interconnected pipes transport hot water from generating stations.

Professor Philip Mawby, the lead academic for the Energy strand of Warwick’s Global Research Priorities programme, said: “We are delighted to be part of the team delivering this exciting and innovative project that will help start the transformation of the distribution network that is so important to the delivery of the future electricity grid infrastructure.”

WPD Chief Executive Robert Symons said he was delighted that the company had secured the bid:
“This is an excellent project that will not only directly benefit electricity users in Birmingham, but will also provide valuable learning for the energy industry as a whole, as well as other interested parties.”

Work on the project will begin immediately, with construction due to start next summer.