Warwick in Africa now recruiting

**The Warwick in Africa (WiA) programme is now recruiting volunteers for summer 2013.**

The WiA wants both students and experienced teachers to work in 22 different secondary schools in Ghana, Tanzania and South Africa.

Students can teach English or Maths for up to six weeks while qualified teachers will help run master classes for two weeks.

To be eligible, student applicants need to have previously studied maths-related subjects or English and modern languages. Teaching experience (including PGCE, GTP, Teach First, Warwick in Schools, Warwick Inspire or TEFL) is also desirable.

Teachers are expected to have “excellent primary or secondary school teaching and leadership skills” to communicate with colleagues in Africa on improving teaching skills.

Essential food and living costs are covered by donations, but the WiA also asks applicants to help raise funds for its further development.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity,” MFA Writing student Jon Mycroft said. “The educated elites often leave for the US, Australia and other European countries. It’s time for them to complete their international development around the world.”

Established in 2006, the voluntary programme has benefited more than 120,000 learners. The main goal of WiA is “to enhance the education of young people in Africa; a direct route to liberation from poverty”.

PhD Maths student Charlie Turner told the _Boar_: “It’s an interesting programme. It brings benefits to both the educators and the students being educated.”

Students and teachers can apply for the programme on the Warwick website until early January.