Opinion Matrix: What has 2012 meant for Europe?

### German Correspondent, David Taylor

![](http://farm1.staticflickr.com/135/368875884_b4b5266888.jpg)

2012 has been a year of great turbulence and uncertainty for the large majority of people, and no-where has escaped the feeling of depressing cut-backs and ominous clouds of debt. However, there is one country in the so-called Western world that has been seen as somewhat of a beacon of hope for the rest of us, and I am sitting there right now in a café drinking peppermint tea. Germany has somehow managed to keep its head not only above the water, but also arguably still lying on the deck playing shuffleboard and drinking cocktails.

This is down to one easy aspect of German life: the cheerful frugality that is embraced everywhere you see. Angela Merkel, the modern day iron lady with an upside-down smile, may not be everyone’s pint of stout German beer, but she has kept her country on the same path that has held it in good stead for a number of years. Germany is very much reaping the benefits of keeping its belt-buckle tightened (and knowing some German waistlines that can be quite a task). Merkel may have had to effectively bail Greece and Spain out of insolvency, but the fact that this task was thrust upon her is indicative of the progress (or rather lack of shrinkage) that Germany has enjoyed over the last twelve months.

### Hungarian Correspondent, Emeafa Doe

![](http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5127/5728035139_711307cc30.jpg)

2012 has been a year in which economic concerns have been the topical issue of every single EU member state – except when the Olympics were on. Despite cleaning up an impressive 17 medals, 2012 has been a politically charged 12 months for Hungary.

The current right wing government (Fidesz) have introduced a spate of legislation, asserting their control over the media, the government and the judiciary; inciting the fear of a regression towards autocracy. In fact the European Commission have brought legal action against the country for its decisions, in attempting to merge its central bank and financial markets regulator, as well as compromise the independence of the national data protection authority.

The political climate in Hungary has dominated the atmosphere of its capital and thousands have banded together in opposition of the suspiciously oppressive “new constitution”. This legislation restricts the movement of the media, enforces voting regulations which favour the majority party and completely destroys the independence of the judiciary. The condemnation from the European Community has led to some vitriolic speech by the Prime Minister, Viktor Orban, who remains obstinate about his policies, only showing flexibility when the status of financial subsidies are threatened.

Unfortunately for Hungary, 2012 has been a tumultuous year of political and economic upheaval; although sadly the same can also be said for many other EU member states. Within the capital, this year has been characterised by protest and a thirst for democracy. A year of discontent. However, the demonstrated passion of the citizens indicates big changes for this Central European country.

### Italian Correspondent, Phillip Hawkes

![](http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3128/2401071702_7b52ed7e21.jpg)

For some, 2012 has been a year to remember. The Olympics renewed hope and pride in Britain with 29 Gold Medals and without doubt a show that the world will remember.

Italy received a respectable 8 Gold Medals at the games, and reached the Euro 2012 Final. In the world of sport, it has not been a year of glory for Italy; it has been a year of progress. And this word, progress, is not restricted to sport.

The legacy of 2011 was an economy in a mess, widespread opposition to newly proposed austerity measures that have underlined deep social divisions, and the apparent political end of three times Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, embroiled in tax fraud and sex scandals. It most certainly was never going to be a year of glory.

2012 has been a new beginning for Italy. Under a new technocratic government, led by economist Mario Monti, new austerity measures and Labour market reforms are designed to make 2012 the start of a new road to economic recovery, perhaps even a new Italy.

Yet Italy has a strange relationship with its past. It is one of the most beautiful countries on earth. Fascinating architecture in its cities of Rome, Milan and Venice remains a thrilling legacy of the Roman Empire; the hidden gems of Elba Island, Liguria and Lake Como continue to draw people in from around the world. This will not change. Yet in October 2012, Italy was reminded of a different side to its past.

Immediately after being found guilty of tax evasions, Silvio Berlusconi announced his return to Italian politics. When this announcement was made, my Italian flatmate in Siena shouted un-publishable words at the TV. It is clear that the new Italy will not accept this bit of history returning. The key legacy 2012 leaves for Italy is that this year of steady progress must be repeated many times if this great country is ever to return to glory.

### Spanish Correspondent, Marisol Saona

![](http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7184244232_fe35dc0377.jpg)

2012 has not been a good year for Spain; she appears to be losing at just about everything except for football. Cataluña, like other wealthier autonomous communities, want out of Spain’s mess, dazzling us with a pro-independence rally that drew over a million protesters to the streets.

But citizens in all regions are at a breaking point. November 14th saw another General Strike grip the nation, with protesters sending a message to politicians demanding a better future – whilst I idly muse that the resulting loss of about €2.3 million in GDP is probably not going to help the situation. Predictably, what was meant to be a day dedicated to peaceful picketing descended into burning squad cards, home-made bombs, looting and even an innocent 13-year old bystander being clubbed by police.

Over the course of this harrowing year Spain has faced severe public spending cuts, suffered mandates from Brussels that now place them with the 4th highest taxes in Europe, and graciously added ‘world’s highest unemployment rate’ to their trophy cabinet. You can’t say they aren’t stimulating the economy though. Unlike us stingy Brits, Spain’s eat-out and designer clothes culture is definitely alive and kicking.

At the same time that they’re trying to tell me that everyone in England must be lolling around with a silver spoon, I’m pointing out that we aren’t the ones prancing around on public transport at a mere 79c per journey and then wondering why there’s a deficit.

But what would I know? I’m just here for the paella.