Warwick students join trade unions in anti-austerity march

**Members of Warwick Labour travelled down to London to join anti-austerity protests organised by the Trades Union Congress (TUC) on Saturday.**

Tens of thousands of people from all over the country turned out to join the demonstration in the capital against the government’s spending cuts.

Amongst them was second-year Ancient History student and Warwick Labour executive committee member, Jack Adams.

He told the _Boar_ that Warwick Labour’s support hoped “to demonstrate that there is an alternative… a more progressive way to deal with deficit and national debt issues”, as well as to show that Warwick Labour is “showing solidarity with TUC, and firmly sticking to their message.”

![Protest](http://up.metropol247.co.uk/chris2311/Protest.jpg)

Marches also took place in Glasgow and Belfast. The Government has argued that the cuts are essential to reducing the deficit.

Marchers walked from Embankment past the Houses of Parliament and on to Hyde Park where Labour Party leader Ed Miliband made a speech, attacking the cuts made by the coalition government.

The Warwick contingent, almost 40 strong, joined Labour Students’ spot in the capital, where Labour groups from several other universities including Kent, LSE and Leeds were also gathered.

Jack Tracey, from Kent Labour Students, noted: “The current government’s austerity plan isn’t working…cuts are going too far too fast.”

Former president of Warwick Labour, Baris Yerli, a third-year Sociology student commented: “seeing as nearly one million young people are unemployed, it only makes sense that we (Warwick Labour) march today.”

Members of the shadow cabinet also participated in the march. Shadow Secretary of State for Education, Stephen Twigg, told the _Boar_: “it’s great to see so many people here, people from all parts of the country, of all ages and sending a powerful message to the government that we need jobs and growth not continued austerity.”

Unions, representing members all across the public sector, were present at the march. Allan Armour from the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) declared: “We’re marching for solidarity and belief in public service”.

However, Prime Minister David Cameron announced, earlier this month, that more “painful decisions” would have to be taken in order to redress the country’s deficit.

Moreover, in a tweet earlier today, Mr Cameron dismissed Labour’s role in the march. It seems Mr Cameron and his government are unlikely to waver from the austerity measures.

The march passed peacefully, with police officers, for the most part, conducting crowds and observing, rather than having to take any action.