You Only Warwick Once

First year is fast, fun and fantastic. Sadly, it’s also fleeting. Arriving on campus with your entire life packed up in suitcases, you may not realise it but this is the time to make the most out of all the great opportunities available at Warwick. I’ve compiled a guide that’s bound to make this year a good one.

**Attend as many fairs as you can – **The first two weeks of term 1 are heavily laced with fairs; sport fairs, society fairs, fresher fairs etc. Make sure you get down to as many as you can. It is the one time you get to an introduction to all the activities that take place on campus. During the year, there will also be Career Fairs that will be run on a termly basis, it’s important you attend these too, especially if you want a holiday internship.

**Join all the societies that take your fancy -** University is a place to discover the type of person you are. Ever played ultimate frisbee? Fancy yourself as a murder-mystery detective? You’ll never know until you try. For most societies, it’s free to sign up to the mailing list which will keep you updated with all upcoming events, and once you try it and you like it, you can join for as little £3 for the entire year.

**Visit the Arts Centre – **This little nugget is Warwick’s best kept secret! Students can see a whole range of performances for a bargain price of £5. I spent a great deal of my first year as an active member of the Arts Centre, watching over 30 different performances. The theatre is right on your doorstep, don’t ignore it!

**Play the silliest drinking games -** This is a great way to break the ice with your new flatmates and get rid of all awkwardness. My flat’s game of choice was Ring of Fire, the rules are easy to learn and breaking them usually results in downing your drink, which of course only helps with the end goal.

**Socialise with everyone – **Remember that everyone’s the same boat as you. If that isn’t a foundation for a long-lasting friendship or at least a drinking buddy, I don’t know what is. The best nights out are usually had in a large social group. Plus having loads of friends means more places to prink. Result!

**Get off campus -** We all love the Warwick bubble. It’s cosy, it’s cheap – but do branch out and explore Leamington. SMACK, Evolve, Saints, this is where the fun’s at (and the attractive older students). Those that are more daring can even venture into forbidden land, Coventry, and see what night-life there has to offer too.